Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2003 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By T. Fowler I am about to give advice in a dispute between a staff rep and a manager in charge of a maintenance service, and would like to run it past the knowledgable eyes of this forum first. A new staff rep is taking his role seriously and has brought to my attention the fact that PAT testing on electrical drills etc has not been carried out for almost ayear when the frequency laid down in our procedures is three monthly. I know the manager is going to plead lack of time to do these things and, whilst pointing out his absolute duty to protect his staff from harm I want to try to help him. I have no great faith in PAT testing. Having many years experience in Equipment Management I am struggling to recount an occasion where earth bonding or earth leakage tests have brought to light significant problems. To carry them out every three months I think is very over-indulgent. If the situation warrents regular checking of the equipment I believe the best people to do it are the users and they should be trained to do so, in exactly the same way as we don't have MOT tests monthly where vehicles may be subject to intense ware and tear, we require the user to recognise split windscreen wipers, baldy tires etc. My advice will be that we reduce the formal, time consuming PAT testing to an annnual frequency and train our staff to look for recognise and report damage and other faults in the equipment they use. What do you think?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2003 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West Sounds good to me. I would agree with you on this one. As (almost) always it comes down to risk assessment. Look at your previous records. If testing every quarter continues to return satisfactory results, then to extend the time between testing is a reasonable thing to consider. I think a pragmatic approach is to be encouraged with this kind of issue.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2003 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marcus Pereira Slightly off topic - but - if you change your system during the 'dispute' you are likely to lose all confidence of you safety reps. It may appear to them that you have backed down to suit the management!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2003 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson You actually have a number of problems:- 1. You have a safety system that is not being followed; 2. You have a safety system that you do not believe in; and 3. You potentially now have credibility issues with the management and the workforce. In respect of problems 1 and 3, the maintenance manager has to be informed that if there is a system he has to follow it like it or not until it is changed. If he feels that the system is overzealous or not cost effective then he can put up a case for an alternative system that addresses all of the companies needs. I would suggest that you do not make any changes until and unless the maintenace manager informs you that the system does not work. He can then be informed how he should have raised the issue to get the system changed and you can take your measures to put a more effective system in place. This addresses issue 2. As suggested if you change the system at this moment you are in danger of sending out the message that safety systems don't matter and that management can ignore them with impunity. Many regards and good luck. Adrian Watson
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2003 17:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt T Kevin has the right approach - but talk it through first with the rep and manager. That's all there is to it - end of story. Geoff
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2003 17:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Jenkins Maintain current standards but suggest it should be reviewed as part of a team approach involving the Manager, Supervisors and relevant workforce safety rep(s) based on repair rates to handtools and associated cables, incident rates, other industry advice, etc. Have results and any suggested changes to policy brought to next Safety Committee for review and approval. That way there is full consultation and a decision based on evidence, not resources.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2003 21:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I think you sugestion of getting the maintenance persons trained to carry out the PAT testing is the sensible and correct solution. The employees duty is to assist the employer in complying with the legal duties imposed and this will ensure that the employers safe working procedures, that require 3 monthly testing, are complied with. (you can worry about reviewing the periods of inspection/testing later on, based on the reports/records you get). In addition it will show the safety reps, and hence the employees, that the employer is not only wanting to meet the safety policy/procedures devised, but is serious in doing so and making the resources available to ensure it is done, as required. The added benefits are better trained and competent employees. What you must do is ensure that when this done, it is monitored rigourously to ensure that the PAT testing by the trained and competent employee(s) is carried out on/by the dates required, as required, and records maintained. This will serve several purposes; 1) ensure that the testing is done, seeing as how the safety rep has brougt it up!!, and 2) may discourage situations where matters are brought up for the sake of it, because for example (due to work pressures) a date has been missed. 3) will assist the (overworked) manager in ensuring that the safety procedures are being employed as required without him/her having to do it all. 4) may help improve the safety culture of the employees, knowing that all the above has been listened to and action taken. Don't however give the safety rep the opportunity to tell his fellow employees 'I did this' and 'I got this sorted'. Take the initiative by saying at the meeting that it has been recognised that XXXX and that Management are going to XXXX and make sure this is followed immediately by a safety notice going up infoming employees what MANAGEMENT are doing and selecting employees for training (enough to cover shifts/holidays etc) and seeing training dates are given. If you audit? ensure that these items are covered on the audit in future.... PS: don't let the %*&$X*^* wear you down!!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 April 2003 21:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman My experience with pat testing, which covers fixed, mobile and temporary installations including extension leads, indicates a 10% annual failure rate. Over 3 months 2.5 %, one in forty, of your equipment will fail the test. Others may have different results, but I strongly recommend the quarterly frequence, at least for mobile/temporary/ extension lead equipment. Merv