Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2003 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David MacDonald
We are currently looking at the individual behavioural aspect of safety in our company and are considering if a behaviour type safety program / system would be beneficial i.e. 'DuPont STOP' or similar. It would be appreciated if we could have individual experiences / recommendations (+/-) of behaviourial safety programs / systems.

Dave
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2003 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson
David

I have implimented the stepback 5x5 program. It is summarised as "engage the mind before the hands".

It looks at the before, during and after job phases and is easy for the workforce to understand.

The most critical factors are the support of management and acceptance that all personnel will have to change their behaviuor, not just the shopfloor.

Results were very positive, both from a reduction in incidents and an increased ownership of safety by all.

Good luck
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2003 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard White
We have implemented a behvioural risk improvement programme in a number of locations and found it to be a very useful tool in reducing incidents. However, it is a long term programme and instant results shouldn't be expected overnight. Just ask David Moyes.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2003 10:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Duncan Brown
Hi David

You may care to look at a recent video ("The Secret Weapon") we have produced with Dupont and the CBI in which visit Dupont's safest site at Maydown(Northern Ireland) to demonstrate how a set of realistic and consistent core safety values can have a tremendous impact on safety and,in turn,business performance.

If you look at our website www.outtakes.co.uk you will aso find videos like "SafetyWatch" which focus on observation and feedback skills and "The Simple Things" on key safe behaviours essential elements of all behavioural campaigns. These films also feature other providers than Dupont and I would of course be happy to send you previews.

Thanks Duncan
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2003 08:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
I have used a derivative of the Total Australia TAKE 5 as my base point. This is based around 5 key steps for on the spot risk assessment Stop, Think, Identify, Contol and Communicate, Complete.

It is also used as the lead in to on the spot tool box discussions when deviations from normallly accepted safe behaviour is seen. The main key in the process however is to get ALL Leadership involved in the processes from Site, or equivalent, Directors down to shop floor. My own guidance into this came from Peter McKie, former MD Dupont, and he always emphasises the need for Clear, Visible Leadership, ie Make what is desired clear and specific and with defined expectations, the visible means that all must be seen to follow it through without walking past any unsafe act or situation, after all if you say nothing it must be acceptable.

Hope this might provoke other thoughts.

Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 May 2003 20:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ewan Ross
We as a large multi-site organisation implemented the Safe/Unsafe Act (SUSA) process provided by John Ormand Management Consultants, based in Blackpool Area.

It is a simple process which starts off with culture change workshop process and then goes onto training personnel in completing safety visits. The system is based around "what is the worst accident that can happen?" and encourages personnel to praise safe behaviour as well as trying to get individuals to recognise unsafe behaviour.

This along with other aspects of safety management i.e. pushing quality risk assessments, encouraging personel to report near miss incidents etc has had a positive result on safety performance.

The SUSA Process has also seen personnel challanging the way they have worked in the past.