Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2003 00:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Hi Colleagues With regard to Loler reg 5/BS 7121 and the use of a cradle via a mobile crane. It would be valuable for me to guage opinion on the following. Very briefly and with the exception of an emergency situation, do you think that it is acceptable practice/good practice/bad practice/unbelievable practice etc.... to use the cradle to transport persons to a working platform at height then, "lash" or "make secure" the cradle to the platform steelwork and allow persons to disembark over the cradle and platform handrail utlising a double lanyard? Yours in anticipation Jim
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2003 21:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Hi Jim Generally I am dead against using a mobile crane with an access cradle. I have agreed to using access cradles from overhead cranes before but not from mobile cranes. The only reason that we use this cradle is that there are no safer alternatives in the areas that we use it in. Cherry pickers / access platforms could not get into these areas safely for a number of reasons. Scaffolding was impractical as there were many awkward areas to reach inside a large building. The nature of work and the height it had to be done at made it too risky to use ladders. However, there is a big differnce between using an overhead crane and a mobile crane with an access cradle. Before going ahead with this please make sure that you can justify that this is the the best option "Cost vs Risk", and then ensure that a robust system of work is written and followed. In my opinion using a mobile crane with access cradle should be your last option, if a mobile crane can be used then why not a "cherry picker". If you need a copy the procedure for using an access cradle with overhead crane please e-mail me. good luck Steve
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 April 2003 09:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I think you would need to have good reasons for not being able to use conventional methods for accessing the work platform and an agreed, recorded, implemented and monitored safe system of work (based upon risk assessment by a competent person) for the suggested action - presumably some sort of PTW with ensured immobilisation, stability and negligable forces upon the platform during the process. I wouldn't want to put my name to this!