Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2003 19:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Wood
Is there a shortage of HS staff, I keep hearing so, but then I see lots of people with lots of qualifications unable to get work in this field

My position is that I am a Building Surveyor (originally a bricklayer) with lots of experience of CDM and general construction health and safety the safety side fascinates me and I would be interested in pursuing a move in to this side of things (construction) what in your opinion would be my best starting point?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2003 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson
Hi Robert

I don't know about a shortage of staff but there seems to be a shortage of opportunities. I have been trying to break into H&S for the past 3 years. I have a diploma in H&S Management.

You seem to have a head start in the constuction industry where all the opportunites seem to lie. I would suggest you study for the NEBOSH Constuction certificate and then maybe move onto a Diploma at one of the Universities. If you were in Scotland and near Glasgow I would recommend Glasgow Caledonian University in Glasgow.

With you qualifications already acheived through your Surveyor acheivements it maybe possible to get on a degree or diploma course right now or when the next course are available.

Hope your are successful in getting into Health and Safety.

Kind Regards

Robert
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2003 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel
Try the Nottingham Trent Diploma or the British Safety Council Diploma as well, as a way to gain qualifications.

My sources tell me that both appear to be more realistic with their coursework and feedback etc than NEBOSH

Get work through agencies in the first instance to get youself a track record.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2003 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Bate
Robert,

First of all - good luck to you. I believe you will find it a most rewarding (and demanding) profession!

There are truly many ways to go about getting into the trade. I believe you would benefit from reading one of the threads in the Study Support Forum - "Diploma or Masters in Occupational Health and Safety?".

The general consensus is that experience + qualification = h&s professional.

Get qualified, get a job, and then get another job!

Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2003 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson
Robert

As with any profession, there is always a shortage of competent and effective HSE staff. The hardest part is always getting that first job, and establishing yourself in HSE is no different.