Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2003 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier We have a number of areas on site that contain asbestos, all of which is encapsulated and identified. Some of the asbestos is in an office aenvironment and during a recent refurb it was decided to make a "feature" of the asbestos downpipe and box it in with plater board. Now that the office is nicely painted and looks pretty some clever bloke(me) wants to put a caution asbestos label all over the new paint work, this for obvious reasons is not going down well. So my question is with the asbestos suitably encapsulated and labelled behind the plasterboard is it acceptable to use a small discrete sign warning of asbestos behind the plaster? We have a register which is maintained so we are aware that asbestos is present and its current condition.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2003 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I suspect so - provided that you can show that you are operating a robust and appropriate system of management. The ILEA schools used to have fixed notices at the entrance to each room stating the locations of identified ACMs and I suspect that this would still be acceptable in appropriate circumstances.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2003 11:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Hi The new Regulations which came out last year surely placed a "Duty to Manage" responsibility on us for asbestos. I watch these Regulations very carefully as we have an asbestos roof which is in dire need of TLC. Surely if this is boxed in you cannot adequately monitor the condition, looking for signs of wear and tear, cracks and so on. You don't need to put up signs, but you do need an adequate register of where the asbestos is on site. However, I should take very careful note of the last requirement of the Duty to Manage which states "monitoring and reviewing arrangements to be in place including keeping a check on the condition of asbestos and presumed asbestos containing materials". I wish you luck with this one - it's nasty. Hilary
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2003 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Hunter No absolute duty to label asbestos, rather a duty to inform those likely to disturb the material. If your management system flags this up via works orders etc. then I can't see that you have a problem? I'm assuming the down pipe is asbestos cement.Other than impact damage, this is pretty indestructable stuff! If it is encapsulated behind a plasterboard partition, then it's condition won't change at all! Labelling may confuse the uninitiated into thinking your brand new plasterboard is AIB - in any event, and in my experience, the painters will paint over your label on their next visit!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2003 21:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Simon. I agree with Ron. Ther is a duty to manage and this includes a register (which you've got) and a need to inform persons of the location, risks posed and what can and cannot be done in respect of maintenance. Putting stickers on is nice, but if managed correctly should not be necessary in this case. Asbestos cement is a robust product, and if it was in good condition, barring being hit with a hefty blow by a hammer, it should stay in good condition for years, so there is no real need to rip open the enclosure to inspect it often!!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2003 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor As we are discussing the pros and cons of labelling; Regulation 4(9) requires ensuring that the location and condition of any ACM is provided to every person liable to disturb it and made available to the emergency services. The Guidance (L127) says that 'one way of doing this is to clearly label, where reasonably practicable .. but the labels will need to be checked from time to time as they may become obscured or fall off. Another way might include a 'permit to work' system''. The ACoP reminds us that the labels should conform with the H&S (Safety Signs and Signals) Regs 1996.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2003 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier Thank you all for your contribution it has been most welcome. To update you on what we are doing. We have decided to do a combination of the suggestions raised. Firstly we will be labelling the asbestos itself, then we have decided to produce a drawing of all our buildings and mark on that drawing the location of any asbestos contained therein. We will still be maintaining our register and monitoring the condition of the enclosure,it follows that if the enclosure is not damaged then the asbestos behind it is also not damaged. Thanks again for your assistance
Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2003 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I would stick to the plain English meaning of the words. Record the significant hazards you find during the assessment process. Record the significant risks that you find the hazards present. Record the control measures that you find are needed.