Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2003 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment This is one for Healthcare practitioners again. Microtome machine in Histopathology - this machine 'shaves' very thin slices of frozen biopsies in order for them to be looked at under the microscope. It's a fairly lethal blade and because the biopsies are embedded in wax the blade edge gets clogged up with wax/tissue residue frequently. The blade cleaning is currently done by hand.....literally! Had some serious cuts last week and have given them a short timescale to come up with a safer method. The manager insists that 'everyone does it like this' and even volunteered to show me the scars from his apprenticeship!! Needless to say - he's not getting away with that response. Anyone have experience of this particular machine? Can the blade be cleaned using cotton buds or similar? Regards Bryn PS If I don't tell you I'll burst - emigrating to Oz in July. Thanks to those who've given me info, help and encouragement over the last few months
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2003 10:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Blimey!, that takes me back a few (30) years. My first "career" was in Med Lab sciences. I remember the main bit of safety advice was "if you accidentally drop the knife don't attempt to catch it". This wasn't a joke and I later saw the outcome of someone forgetting this gem - fortunately the outcome wasn't too serious. These knives are unbelievabaly sharp and heavy, quite capable of removing a few fingers. Don't know the answer Bryn, other than sack the gung ho manager. Good luck in Oz, your contributions to the forum have been invaluable.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2003 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Jim Strewth mate! (been taking Orstrylian lessons!) Your last line makes it sound as if I'm going to the end of the universe where there is no communications possible. I'll still be popping in, especially when the 'Kept Man' and 'Beach Dingo' portions of my new life end and I have to get a job. I'll have to put the bleached hair, bead necklace and the 'board away and return to the world of elf'n'safety when the other half gets fed up of working full-time. Thanks for advice on the manager - if only!!! Regards
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2003 18:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant Hi Bryn, In a previous career pre H&S I was a chief officer in Histopathology and used microtomes daily. My experience however is now 15 years old. The knives are either used with processed tissue which are prepared into wax blocks or resin. In addition frozen tissue is cut inside a freezer type machine using fresh tissue. The cleaning methods vary between the machines. Originally most machines used large heavy knives and they were cleaned off the machine by screwing in a handle and then wiping with tissues soaked in a solvent such as xylene from the back to the front of the blade to prvent cuts and also damage to the blades edge which as you stated cuts sections at about 5 thousanths of a millimetre (5 microns). By the time I changed careers, most labs were going over to disposable blades which looked like long single edged razor blades. These we just disposed of at the end of the session into a safe sharps container. If they had to be cleaned then a small sable hair brush was dipped into solvent and again wiped from back to front. The frozen microtome had a different method in that another brush was used dry to brush off any frozen unwanted material. The knives again were disposed of into a sharps container and the whole cabinet disinfected because the tissue is unprocessed apart from freezing. Resin sections are the newist type of material and tend to be cut by diamond or glass knives. Thank heaven for disposable blades as the heavy old knives were difficult to handle and in order to be kept sharp were stropped on a barpers strop to finish the sharpening after a hand sharpen on a fine carburundum type stone. I must point out this was mostly pre Health and Safety legislation. I wonder how they would manage know? Hope this helps. Regards, Martin.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 April 2003 18:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Sharp Could I suggest a chain mail glove or similar when handling these knives. Like other resondents I have had experience of these knives: you don't want to get a cut from one- it hurts a lot and can be serious. Fingers, or worse, have been lost over the years. The good thing was the change to the disposable type of blade, but these are still very sharp. Hope this helps. John Sharp
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 April 2003 14:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve williamson Hi Bryn, In any issue involving a manufacturer's piece of equipment I'd be asking the rep. for advice before trying to invent a wheel. If he doesn't have a standard safe working procedure he's better placed than you to find someone who does. Fair goes, possum Steve
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 June 2003 13:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Kondrotas Bryn, Disposable keratome blades are the best option, but in the case of re-usable blades, do not have a hospital sterile services that you could use? They are equipped with washer disinfectors, rather like large dishwashers, that remove the need for hand washing and in these days of vCJD hand washing of medical equipment is not recommended. Linda.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 June 2003 17:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Clements Bryn Hope this is not too late. Single use blades seem to be the answer - then the use of PPE for the handling of these. Kevlar gloves are available and very good. Regards Geoff