Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2003 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Dutton I would be interested to know what anybody has done about the potential exposure to haz substances in the warehouse from something like a spillage. I can think of a couple of ways to tackle this but do not want overkill. As there is no exposure in normal circumstances I could argue that there is no real need for an assessment, however if a spillage happens we should have one if only to defend ourselves from the potential litigation claims as a result of so called exposure. If anybody has tackled this i would be interesed to hear how you have done it and if you have any experience/opinions from an inspectors point of view.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2003 15:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze If you can give an example of the sort of hazardous substance you refer to it might assist a fuller response. E.g. is the spillage solid, liquid, gas, biological agent etc.? However you are correct in suggesting that your COSHH Assessment should cover abnormal situations. It is not unforseen that a container might be pierced by a stray fork truck tine. Regards Jonathan Breeze
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2003 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Mark All COSHH assessments should address three scenarios: normal use, maintenance operations and emergencies. In the case of storage, the risk during normal 'use' is low or very low, as you have said. Maintenance is not really applicable to storage but you do have to consider emergencies such as spillage or leakage. Depending on the substances involved, you will probably have to rely on PPE to control exposures during any cleanup. You should make sure that appropriate spillage kits are available and remember that, again depending on the substances involved, the used spillage kit may be special waste. You should also ensure that appropriate training is provided to those required to clear up any mess. Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2003 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Which begs the question - should stores eg the likes of B&Q - assess all the substances on their shelves on the assumption that it is foreseeable that there will be a spillage? Would this be reasonably practicable? Geoff
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 April 2003 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Geoff, Yes, because there is no reasonable practicability in the requirement to carry out a risk assessment. Assessment of the risk to health created by work involving substances hazardous to health 6. - (1) An employer shall not carry out work which is liable to expose any employees to any substance hazardous to health unless he has - (a) made a suitable and sufficient assessment of the risk created by that work to the health of those employees and of the steps that need to be taken to meet the requirements of these Regulations; and (b) implemented the steps referred to in sub-paragraph (a). (2) The risk assessment shall include consideration of - (a) the hazardous properties of the substance; (b) information on health effects provided by the supplier, including information contained in any relevant safety data sheet; (c) the level, type and duration of exposure; (d) the circumstances of the work, including the amount of the substance involved; (e) activities, such as maintenance, where there is the potential for a high level of exposure; (f) any relevant occupational exposure standard, maximum exposure limit or similar occupational exposure limit; (g) the effect of preventive and control measures which have been or will be taken in accordance with regulation 7; (h) the results of relevant health surveillance; (i) the results of monitoring of exposure in accordance with regulation 10; (j) in circumstances where the work will involve exposure to more than one substance hazardous to health, the risk presented by exposure to such substances in combination; (k) the approved classification of any biological agent; and (l) such additional information as the employer may need in order to complete the risk assessment. (3) The risk assessment shall be reviewed regularly and forthwith if - (a) there is reason to suspect that the risk assessment is no longer valid; (b) there has been a significant change in the work to which the risk assessment relates; or (c) the results of any monitoring carried out in accordance with regulation 10 show it to be necessary, and where, as a result of the review, changes to the risk assessment are required, those changes shall be made. (4) Where the employer employs 5 or more employees, he shall record - (a) the significant findings of the risk assessment as soon as is practicable after the risk assessment is made; and (b) the steps which he has taken to meet the requirements of regulation 7. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 April 2003 09:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze While I understand the situation to be a large warehouse & not a superstore, in both cases it might be possible to complete a generic COSHH Assessment if like chemicals are stored in the same area (e.g 2 brands of wood preservative with the same active ingredients found in the same aisle). That would reduce the sheer quantity of assessments required, although the assessor would have to be pretty darn sure that there were no other incompatible materials present. Jon
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 April 2003 11:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt But is 'reasonably practicable' not implicit in: "(a) made a suitable and sufficient assessment of the risk created by that work to the health of those employees and of the steps that need to be taken to meet the requirements of these Regulations;" Taking an overall view - substances on the domestic market are 'generally' low risk. I know that some may not be but if you could accept this general term for the discussion. Again generally the maximum quantity in each container is 5 litres. The majority of containers are much less. Each substance has hardardous warning signs on the container and instructions for, and in, use. Staff are trained in general issues surrounding COSHH including evacuation of the immediate area/s if necessary. Staff have access to PPE (but not RPE) for handling the substance/s. So, instead of having an assessment for each substance (with its attendant difficulties including training, constant reviews, availability etc), why wouldn't a blanket assessment for the majority of substances be sufficient - bearing in mind the low risk involved? For the higher risk substances, eg thinners, then individual assessments could be produced. Geoff
Admin  
#8 Posted : 26 April 2003 13:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I worked at a place that dealt with dangerous chemicals and they developed a system in place that coverered both assessment and measures to deal with such events. its called a chemical register. this was a file that contained msds that employees could refer to in events such a spillage. You say the risk is low so you are assessing the problem now. Just put this to paper and develop a system that ties the register in as a point of immediate action to be taken in the event of a spillage. this could include clean up emergency procedures etc as the material safety data sheets already provide much of this inf. Chemical register sounds good to employees aswell. Think Think Think. With a scanner and pc this can be put online on a intra net and cover other areas. God i dont even have a job in safety but i feel this could work if thought out carefully.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 26 April 2003 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Complements the point nicely - if a company has the MSDSs for all the substances why then do they have to carry out individual assessments for each low risk substance. My concept of low risk takes into account the toxicity of the substance, the dangers if it was spilled, the size of the containers, the number and types of persons involved and the existing general precautions & arrangements in place. On the simplest plane is it necessary to do an assessment on, say, powder Polyfilla, but at least one of the responses above suggests that it is. Not in my opinion and the term 'reasonably practicable' should always be taken into account - unless credibility is unimportant. One company has assessed table salt in their canteen - for goodness sake, what was the Safety Advisor thinking of? Mark - you may think the discussion has been 'hijacked' but I think they are closely related topics/concepts. Geoff
Admin  
#10 Posted : 26 April 2003 17:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear all, There is no reasonable practicability in risk assessments, you just have to do them ... but who said that that the risk assessments have to be written down. You only have to record the significant findings! In the circumstances of a retail warehouse I would be looking at all the factors required by the regulations, i.e. (a) the hazardous properties of the substance; (b) information on health effects provided by the supplier, including information contained in any relevant safety data sheet; (c) the level, type and duration of exposure; (d) the circumstances of the work, including the amount of the substance involved; (e) activities, such as maintenance, where there is the potential for a high level of exposure; ... etc, etc As a consequence of this process, I would probably reach the conclusion that there is no risk during storage, as there is no exposure, unless there was either a significant spillage or a fire. In the event of a spillage I would consider what was the worst spill that could occur and draw up a spillage plan to deal with such an event. In the latter case I would have regard to the amounts and types of chemicals on site in my fire risk assessment and my emergency plan, which I would then implement! I would not consider writing out any risk assessments, but I would record the significant findings of my assessment, and incorporate these in my spillage and emergency response plans. The aim of course is not to produce a risk assessment but manage the risk! Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#11 Posted : 26 April 2003 18:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I'm completely in agreement with that Adrian. Geoff
Admin  
#12 Posted : 26 April 2003 22:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Once it becomes someone's job to deal with a spilled substance, that person has to be informed of the significant findings of an assessment of the associated risks including the appropriate control measures. It must follow, therefore, that, if spillages have to be dealt with in any urgency, the procedures to be followed must already have been determined by risk assessment. Schools tend to use CLEAPSS Hazcards which may give procedures for different amounts of spillage. A similar approach for workplaces with numerous substances would seem worth considering.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 28 April 2003 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson All very good stuff people however we are missing the nature of the contamination and its effects on the Environment etc which also need to be taken into consideration. Groundwater protection and escape into the Drainage system and the effects this may have need to be addressed as well as the safety aspects. Just a thought, as apart from the attention of the EA you would also be required to foot the bill to do any clean up etc and may put you out of business!