Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2003 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster I produce a health and safety newsletter and the next issue will be number 13. I was wondering why 13 was held to be unlucky by some people who are superstitious? I always like to add a little lateral thinking to my publication so if anyone can assist? Cheers...
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2003 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Just a thought - Is it a bit like why you buy eggs in 12's or multiples thereof. I have always been led to believe that they were sold in "long hundreds" ie 120 to take account of the fact that a number were likely to be broken and of no use - only paid for 100 though. There's also "a bakers dozen" where an extra one was made to (again) take account of failures, the "failures" were often sold on in their imperfect state hence "unlucky" for some. I am sure there are equally valid old wives tales and/or folk lore to support unlucky 13 - it will be interesting to read others views.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2003 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster I have been told that Christ was believed to have been crucified on Friday the thirteenth. Whilst I am exploring this avenue it may be appropriate to ask people for their view on the phrase 'accident prone?'
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2003 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft Richard I too think it has Christian origins, but I heard that it was to do with there being 12 diciples plus Jesus makes 13, an unlucky number to be sat at the last supper. If he was crucified on Friday 13th it adds strength to the belief that the number 13 is unlucky. Ian
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2003 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Agree, it seems that 13 is unlucky because it was the number of people attendant at The Last Supper. However, did you also know that 13 in the Tarot pack is the Death card???
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2003 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michelle Driscoll However, the Death card in a tarot pack is not always unlucky - it can also mean change. Gypsy Rose Driscoll
Admin  
#7 Posted : 29 April 2003 14:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt It's also the amount of times you are likely to get stopped when you're shopping on a Saturday morning by someone from the Accident Group! Eric
Admin  
#8 Posted : 29 April 2003 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I never go shopping except to DIY shops. Leave all that to the Mrs, after all it is women's work.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 29 April 2003 15:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett I've read that the fear about the number 13 predates Christianity and comes from the ancient Norse tradition. In that story there are thirteen present when Loki kills Baldur, the favourite of the gods (in a story very similar to that of the last supper.) It would be interesting to go back through accident reports and see if there is a peak at the 13th of the month!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 29 April 2003 21:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis The number 13 is usually associated in a bad way with events on Fridays some historians trace the Christian distrust of Fridays to the church's overall opposition to pagan religions. Friday is named after Frigg, the Norse goddess of love and sex. This strong female figure, these historians claim, posed a threat to male-dominated Christianity. To fight her influence, the Christian church characterized her as a witch, vilifying the day named after her. This characterization may also have played a part in the fear of the number 13. It was said that Frigg would often join a coven of witches, normally a group of 12, bringing the total to 13. A similar Christian tradition holds that 13 is unholy because it signifies the gathering of 12 witches and the devil. OH Frigg.........? the fear of the number 13, called triskaidekaphobia, by the way its amazing what you learn on this web site!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 30 April 2003 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Paul, Yeah! We are a load of sad gits stuffed full of useless information. Actually, I found your interpretation facinating and cannot wait for the opportunity to pass it off as my own.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 30 April 2003 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Dean Here's some more useless information for you, but more or less the same as what some of you have said. Superstitions that surround Friday have been buzzing about since the Ancient Romans dedicated the sixth day to their goddess Venus. The Norsemen, when naming their days, followed the Roman tradition, and named the day after their own goddess, Freya. This eventually evolved into Friday and was considered to be the luckiest day of the week. Christians consider Friday to be the day on which Christ was crucified, and Muslims believe that Adam was created on a Friday, and later died on a Friday as a result of eating the forbidden fruit, also on a Friday. The Scandinavians believed that the number 13 would bring bad luck due to the mythological 12 demigods being joined by a 13th, an evil one, who brought misfortune upon humans. In the Christian faith, the number of guests at the party of the Last Supper was 13, with the 13th guest being Judas, the traitor. When taking both the crucifixion of Jesus and the place of Judas at the Last Supper into consideration, it is little wonder that the Christians believed Friday 13th to be a day of especially bad significance. Incidentally I wrote my car off in a accident on a Friday 13th ……….
Admin  
#13 Posted : 30 April 2003 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Found this on a website, wish I could claim that I knew from memory!! Both the number 13 and the day of the week Friday have had a varied "reputations" throughout the centuries - sometimes considered to be holy and other times considered unholy. In the Western world, the superstition linking Friday the 13th with being unlucky is primarily associated with the final Grand Master of the Knights Templar, Jacques Demolay, and the date of Friday, October the 13th, 1307 AD For a more detailed explanation, visit http://astrology.about.c...tm?terms=friday+the+13th
Admin  
#14 Posted : 01 May 2003 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Well, someone had to do the 13th response in order to assert disbelief in the superstition.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 01 May 2003 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By martin knox Richard, if you contact ROSPA or the leading authority for insurers - they will tell you that more accidents including vehicles etc occur on Saturday 14th of a particular month, as opposed to the day before, including, - Friday 13th, because people tend to be more cautious, then relax on the 14th and hey presto Martin
Admin  
#16 Posted : 01 May 2003 13:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch of course in some cultures, eg chinese 13 is seen as a lucky number. P
Admin  
#17 Posted : 02 May 2003 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large Its unlucky because Jason Voorhees comes out of his lake to murder american campers.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 02 May 2003 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Nice one Mark!
Admin  
#19 Posted : 02 May 2003 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson most british registered passenger aircraft seating rows go straight from row 12 to 14. It was found that these seats could not be sold!
Admin  
#20 Posted : 06 May 2003 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce 13 is the number of times you can walk under a ladder before......! This is irrespective of whether or not you are holding a rabbits foot. Of course, it's very unlucky for the rabbit whatever the circumstances!
Admin  
#21 Posted : 06 May 2003 17:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster Excellent response, even a mention of Jason Vorhees (new dvd JasonX added to my collection today). I shall soon be starting my 'accident prone' thread. Thanks all.