Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2003 10:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rosemary Pocock We are designing a product which we will have to deliver in managable parts before assembly. I am told there is a maximum weight each part can be which is 22kg, Can anyone advise if this is the case?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2003 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Rosemary, There is no 'legal' maximum weight under the Regulations, the limit is set by your risk assessment under those regulations. However appendix 1 of the Guidance Note gives lots of advice on how to complete that risk assessment and mitigating factors that must be considered. I would be tempted to treat the 22kg limit you describe as a customer specification which cannot be exceeded without instruction from that customer, who will have their reasons for giving that figure (be they product spec. or their own risk assessment etc...) If possible, I personally would try to get significantly under this limit. I suggest you get further advice from someone who understands the full implications of the Manual Handling Operations Regs & include your customer in the process. Regards Jon
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2003 12:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Agree with the above, under the Manual Handling Regulations the maximum "recommended" weight for lifting is 20kg or 44lbs. Agree there is no legal limit and each person is different but most suppliers are now supplying commodities in 20kg loads (oil drums changed from 25 litre to 20 litre to accommodate). You should also try to mark the weight on the box if possible. Hilary
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2003 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Got to remember that this is for an 'individual person' to lift the weight, ideally it should be done by a mechanised process / machine / pallet truck etc or by more than one person if above. Look on HSE www in free leaflets section under manual handling for a bit more info. Suggest you ask the company / employer who will have to assemble the product and get their input
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2003 15:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Rosemary, I'm in full agreement with what the others have said so far. We had a problem with contract tender documents - one prospective bidder sent their documentation in one huge package weighing 36Kg. It certainly caused a stir! As a result, we issued an instruction to prospective tenderers that no packages weighing more than 11Kgs would be accepted. We arrived at this figure from the HSE guidance. Initially, the acceptable figure was 22Kg, which had to be reduced as it was likely that female staff would handle the package. The figure was then further reduced to 11Kgs as it was recognised that female staff could be pregnant. To date things have worked OK without any problems identified in that particular area. Hope that this experience proves useful to you. Regards Jim Sweetman