Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 May 2003 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Humphriss
I was intrested to read the discussions on sharps injuries through the iosh discussion forum; I am a Unison safety representative and work for Warwickshire Police as Police Staff.
Our branch of Unison are involved in a campaign to raise awareness and safe handling of sharps and syringes,this being part of Unison's national neddlestick campaign, which in my opinion is aimed at health service workers where some 100,000 needlestick injuries are reported each year.
We beleive the campaign should include all Public Service workers including Police/ Police Staff, who daily put them seleves at risk from injuries from syringes and sharps when handling prisoners and property.
I our case recently a Police Officer injured hinself with a used syring while searching property of a known heroin user, this raises a lot of issues and proves the worth of our campaign, which is to raise awarness as to the risks, around safe handling, storage, first aid etc.
Our branch have an idea of producing a graphic handbook or poster to raise these points, we are looking for ideas from members, if you can help please contact me
Andrew.Humphriss@warwickshire.pnn.police.uk
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2003 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Louise Nicholls
Hi Andrew,

To help prevent sharps injuries, you might be interested in a company who manufacture 'Pic-Up-Stix'. This is a tool that has different types of refillable pads on the end which will collect and retain sharp objects or absorb hazardous liquids or body fluids.

I know a few companies who use this system and think it's quite effective (I don't get commission for saying this!).

Details are: RM Industries, Atlantic House, Gomm Road, High Wycombe, Bucks, HP13 7DJ. Tel: 01494 511077.

Good luck with your campaign.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2003 14:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By smudge
Andrew I am a Health and safety advisor for the Fire service and a member of the execututive for our branch. we also have major problems with Hypodermic needles, usually in void properties used by drug takers.
We have insructed our operational staff not to touch the needles and we have agreements with the seven councils that employ us to remove them when we notify them.
This agreement works very well except for derelict private properties when we have to rely on the police to enable entry.
If inadvertantly one of our staff receives needlstick injuries then we have a medical and counciling service
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2003 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve williamson
Hi Andrew,

Some years ago our NHS Trust bought a product called an Ampel Probe (?) from a stand at the Police Exhibition alongside the Safety Exhibition at the NEC. It is basically a big pair of plastic scissors made for suspect body searches for your colleagues in the USA and usually belt worn in a holster. They are extremely handy for picking up syringes etc. with good visibility and dexterity and our gardeners, plumbers etc. swear by them. Trouble is, we can't find the importer/supplier any more. Hope somebody out there in your sphere may be able to help.

Cheers,

Steve Williamson
0161-720 2531
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 May 2003 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Interestingly, the Ampel Probe website:

http://www.ampelprobe.com/index.html

suggests you either call them or send a letter, with no e-mail contact! If anyone is keen to follow this up, give them a call and ask if they have an approved UK or EU distributor. You might only be able to buy them in the US now, although the website claims they are sold worldwide to a variety of bodies.