Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2003 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hilditch
It is our company's intention to relocate a woodworking shop from one part of our site to another. Do we need to notify the HSE of this move and does CDM come into this?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2003 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson
The CDM regs cover major building / demolition work so unless you will be completing large scale building work then CDM does not apply. As to notifying the HSE, as you are only changing the location locally there appears to be no need to notify them. Onviuosly you will need to review your risk assessments, transport and work practises to ensure the safety of staff and visitors.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 May 2003 13:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
The interpretation of "structure" in CDM regulations includes any fixed plant in respect of work which is installation, commissioning, de-commissioning or dismantling and where any such work involves a risk of a person falling more than 2 metres.

The interpretation of "construction work" means the carrying out of any building, civil engineering or engineering construction work and includes any of the following- the construction, alteration, conversion, fitting out, commissioning, renovation, repair, upkeep, redecoration or other maintenance ___________ de-commissioning, demolition or dismantling of a structure.

Also as CDM applies to ALL demolition & dismantling work of a structure, my view is that CDM will apply, irrespective of other threshold criteria where the work you have described involves a risk of a person falling more than 2 metres.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2003 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman
Martyn,

Now that you have read the previous responses, you are probably going through a bit of a 'help me!' phase.

Both viewpoints are valid in what they say, but how does it apply to you? I would advise that you look at what the work involves;
- if you are only shifting equipment from one location to another, then CDM may be somewhat inappliicable, but do not forget the requirements of other legislation.
- if there is going to be structural work such as knocking out walls (particularly if they are load bearing) or the installation of ventilation systems, then CDM, AND other relevant legislation, will need to be considered.

Jay is right about demolition and dismantling, but there has been some confusion in that area. The Regs refer to application of CDM if there is any demolition or dismantling, but does not specify what is meant by demolition or dismantling. In theory, removing a window could attract CDM, but I think that you will find that the HSE may not support that view. I've always advised a quick call to the local HSE, to ask their particular viewpoint as regards what they consider to constitute demolition and dismantling.

Regarding notification, it is ONLY necessary if the work is expected to last more than 30 working days (or 500 manworking days).

I've always looked on CDM as more a safety management system than a set of regs (that should attract some flak). Whatever the nature or size of the task, follow the CDM principles - they make a good check list (info/suitable contractor/plan/feedback on finished product).

I hope that this is of help to you.

Regards

Jim Sweetman