Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2003 14:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I have been asked a questions and the advice of fellow members would be appreciated: The question is: Are there any procedures for chlorination/cleansing of water tanks carried on road sweepers or jetting machines? This arises from recent works where fine airborne spray (areosol) was coming from a road sweeper that was cleaning a yard and drifting over employees nearby. Water employed on the site comes from a borehole that is checked regularly and there is no legionella present in the borehole water, but the water could be contaminated in the tank on the vehicle if uncleaned. Other questions arising from this, such as what happens if the water tanks are left half full in hot weather allowing any bugs present to multiple, flushing of the system pipes on vehicles etc also arise... It is not uncommon for operators of such vehicles also to get wet themselves from spray in use or when clearing blockages or when pipes burst on high pressure water jetting vehicles. When taken in consideration of the requirements to ensure the cleanliness of fixed water tanks ought the area of mobile tanks on vehicles be covered too? comments, ideas, suggestions or details of known procedures would be most welcome...
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2003 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Stuart, Have you asked the local cleansing dept or the LA contractors who undertake this task, I am sure they will have disinfection procedures. As an aside, when I was a Student EHO I was assigned to the 'Dirty Gang' for a month to get involved and understand the practical intricasies of clearing blocked drains and sewers. The gang foreman, "Dave go and stand over that manhole and let me know when the jetter comes past!" Plume of water went 20' into the air. Had to go home for shower and change, nobody would sit next to me on the bus!!!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 May 2003 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Dave. Having worked on a swer gang in my early days I know all too well the problems, however we did not have a procedure for cleansing of the 'clean' water tanks. With todays problems of bacterial contamination I am intersted in seeing id anypne knows of any specific procedures.... Thanks for your comments...