Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2003 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Gallacher
Is there anybody out there who can tell me what a property vendor has to do in order to comply with the Control of Asbestos Regulations.

Do they have to carry out an asbestos survey and if so of what type??? Do they just have a duty to inform prospective buyers i.e. Type 1 or do they have to go as far as Type 3 destructive surveys?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2003 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Brian.

As far as I am aware there is no requirement for private domestic property vendors to comply with the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations.

Domestic roperty that is owned and let or leased will require some form of survey (type I or II) as well as all commercial property, and commercial property that is to be domolished will require survey (type III).

I am aware that insurance companies having been taking a keen interest in the CAWR, particularly in respect of repairs to all types of property (including domestic property), and I would not be suprised if at some time in the future they require surveys prior to buying/selling domestic properties.

Hope this helps...
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2003 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Gallacher
Thanks for the response Stuart. The properties in question are local authority owned premises that are either unoccupied or void in some way. Does anyboby know if this makes any difference with regard to the requirement for asbestos surveys and their type??

Thanks
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 May 2003 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
The dutyholders i.e. owners, occupiers, managing agents and "others" for the new explicit duty to manage asbestos in buildings is in context of NON-DOMESTIC PREMISES--Regulation 4 of CAWR 2002. You need to refer to the new ACoP , L 127,that gives more details.

Domestic i.e. residential "Housing" is not within the scope of this explicit duty--the exception being common parts of premises such as flats etc.

However any work undertaken by employers in these properties will have to comply with other regulations in CAWR 2002.