Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2003 07:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Morriss
I am a firm beliver that if you can make safety interesting and relevent and dare I say "funny" more people will take an interest.

My hope my starting this thread is to get lots of little stories that people will be able to use to get and keep the attention of staff during training or any meeting.

To start the ball rolling. It is commonly accpeted that 2.5 minutes is a time in which a buiulding should be evacuated, but why 2.5 minutes? Well that is how long the National Antham lasts. During a show in a theatre, sorry can remember where, is was necessary to evacuate the building. In his wiasom the manager noticed people start to panic so told the orchestra to play the National Antham, everyone calmed down and left the building before the end. The National Antham lasts about 2.5 minutes.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2003 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond
Hi Simon

Have you seen this website.
www.makesafetyfun.com

It's very American, but is full of interesting health & safety facts.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2003 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Simon,

I agree with you that using anecdotes, especially amusing ones, can make a serious point more meaningful to others not as fascinated by the Health & Safety field as we are.

One thing I would counsel on though - there are a number of internet myths that circulate, many in the form of warnings regarding stupid behaviour (see the Darwin Awards) and it is important to make sure that sources are verified where possible. The danger is that if you pass something off as a true story without the necessary checks or disclaimers, and it is later proven to be a falsehood, it can actually do more to discredit your laudable intentions in the long run.

One that I have still never gotten to the bottom of is the mobile phone in petrol forecourt "myth" - although this one verges on truth the basis of it seems shrouded in falsehoods which could not be verified.

An excellent resource for checking such stories out on is:

http://www.snopes.com/

or alternatively:

http://www.urbanlegends.com/

Enjoy!

Oh, and I should point out that the Darwin Awards do make every effort to weed out the myth from reality by checking sources, and make sure unverified stories are identified as such.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2003 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett
I agree that making it funny improves your chances that they'll remember what you say. I use two stories to demonstrate the principle of reasonably practicable:

1) a council that didn't fence off a hole in the road properly, with the result that a blind person fell in (it was, pardon the pun, reasonably forseeable that a partially sighted person would come along) and therefore better fencing was required; and

2) a lady knocked out by a cricket ball going over the boundary for 6 as she passed the village green, who lost her claim that the pitch should have been fenced because the club could produce 20 years' worth of batting averages which showed that a four was worthy of note, let alone a six - hence the success of the "not reasonably foreseeable" defence.

For the life of me I can't remember where I first heard these stories and don't know if they're even true (they make the point and get a laugh, so frankly I don't care) - but if anyone can verify them or put me right on the detail I'd be very interested.