Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2003 07:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By jane hallett
Good Morning everyone.

Does anyone have any information on the qualifications needed to work in Occ H&S in Spain? I'm a Dip2 MIOSH and currently learning Spanish - do I have a hope of uping sticks to the Costa Whatever and earning enough to live?

Any information would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Jane
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2003 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Jane.

I have some experience of the area and would suggest that the 'costa's' is unlikely to be a place where H&S professionals are largely employed.

I would suggest that the larger industrial areas of central and northern Spain are more liely to employ H&S profesionals, but beware, the fact is that H&S is not - how shall we say - given the high profile in Spain that it is in the UK....!!!!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2003 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
An ex colleague wrote to lots of housing developers (got the addresses from the magazines you see on the shelves of WH Smiths type stores), generally on the Costa's, saying he was moving out there in 6 months time and didn't get a single response.

But - a month before he was due to go he wrote to them all again giving a definite date. A telephone call from Spain a week later and he had a job.

However, and although I don't know all the in's and out's, he has changed his role and is now working as a sales manager for the same developer (no longer H&S).

Going by some of the safety practices I've seen out there it was the right move! I'm not sure our attitude to safety and the British trait to adhere to rules at all costs goes down too well in Spain.

He and his family love it out there - less money but a better quality of life.

Also on the news yesterday it mentioned that Spain is experiencing an economic boom.

Go for it.

Geoff