Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2003 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Phillips
Is there a legal stipulation as to how often Health & Safetey training is to be given in the workplace?

Every year, five years, employers discretion?

Many thanks,

Graham.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2003 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram
I think you need to distinguish between different types of H&S training.
If it is primarily about giving INFORMATION, there is a good argument for saying no refresher training is needed, particularly if the training includes provision of adequate references so the trainee can refresh their own memory when needed.
If the training is to develop a manual or team SKILL, e.g. practical first aid, the traditional 'statutory' re-training interval is 3-yearly - I suspect based on not much evidence at all! When you think about it, the need for refresher training will depend on whether the skill has been practiced regularly, or not, within the intervening period. If the skill is part of the normal job, you would expect the supervisor to know if performance was sub-standard. If the skill is for emergencies only, then it can be forgotten a lot quicker than 3 years, depending how complicated it is.
If the training is to attain a minimum level of COMPETENCE (i.e. knowledge + skill + ability to apply these in practical situations), then the initial training should include some form of competence assessment - and not by the trainer! Rather than providing blanket re-training every x months or years, it makes more sense to re-sit the competence assessment, and train only those persons who fail it.
Many UK employees, who drive on public roads as part of their work, are competence assessed once via the national licencing system, then never again - unless they have an accident.
At the other extreme, when I worked offshore, it was normal for the installation fire/rescue team (who were primarily employed in other roles) to have a practical training exercise and debrief every week.
If you are setting up a new system, I recommend you take the competence approach, and use competence re-assessments, not time, as the basis for deciding when refresher training will add value. Such re-assessments should be primarily pro-active, but would of course include information from accident/near-miss investigations.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2003 16:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
There is a very useful HSE web-based guidance:-

"Outline Map on Competence, Training and Certification".It was dated 22 October 1998--it is old, but gives a useful outline. The website is:-

http://www.hse.gov.uk/policy/outline.htm

There is also HSE Guidance, available on HSE website:-

"Five steps to information instruction and training"-IND(G)213

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg213.pdf

"Health and safety training : what you need to know"-IND(G)345

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg345.pdf