Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2003 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry hutton As a local authoroty we operate a refuse collection service. Our waste collection service currently utilises black bin bags as the means for households to dispose of waste. We are carrying out our manual handling assessment which has identified that the risk of injury is quite high. Equally though we have thought about the alternatives e.g. wheel bin collection, and the costs associated with implemented this system, vis a vis, the benefits in risk reduction. I would be interested to find out if any other colleagues working in local authorities have gone through this process and what their conclusions where.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2003 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Barry, I don't work in a local authority, but as a user of a wheely bin I think they are absolutely fantastic. They are simple to move from location to lcoation and back, even when fully laden and dragged up and down steps (if a relatively fit and youngish individual!) and most importantly, on a coastal city like Aberdeen, it has a major impact in reducing the damage caused by seagulls and associated pests - less refuse spread around the streets attracting other more dangerous creatures. Having removed their easily accessible food supply, the birds have a tendency to migrate elsewhere as a consequence, so their other disruptions (like nesting and noise) are dealt with at the same time. Cost? Don't know about it, but I think if you contact Aberdeen City Council and ask them if they felt it was a reasonable investment you'll get a resounding endorsement!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2003 21:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Barry, Not sure which LA you work for but you might consider asking your insurance company about this, there is a huge range of case history against local authorities for refuse crew accidents, historically manual handling, however now days for wheelie bin accidents. I am not sure about others but I would still go with the wheelie bin, with good training for the staff, in particular on handling bin lifts and some MSD support/advice available. We still collect some bagged waste, not ever house can easily accept a wheelie bin, but statistically I would say our manual handling injury rate has decreased by at less 40% since the wheelie bin was introduced.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2003 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Swift I am the H&S Advisor for a Waste Management Company who works for a LA and have a large contract for the refuse collection in Yorkshire. If you go down the route of wheelie bins which I would recommend. You would need to set your rules out from the start. i.e. bin lids need to be presented flat (not top hatted). This can cause no end of accidents, both when moving the bins and when presenting them to the bin lift. Also rules would need to be set on side waste. Dispensations can be a major problem and cause no end of operational issues and distances pulled would need to be clear although guidance is not specific in the MH Reg's. A clear and precise checking system would need to be implimented on who is allowed dispensations. The above all result in accidents, fatigue, short cuts (especially job and knock). Although legally, LA's are required to take all waste, educating the public from the start is a key issue to reducing accidents to your employees. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2003 10:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond I've always wondered how some local authorities get away without wheely bins. I support your view that the manual handling risks are high. Also, the hierarchy of controls in the management regulations and manual handling regulations emphasise eliminating risk where possible. When I worked at the Corporation of London - probably the richest local authority in the country, they did not use wheely bins although they did provide big metal Eurobins for some large companies. These were probably a greater manual handling risk to manauvre than manually lifting sacks. I pay very high rates living in Milton Keynes. They are big on recycling yet they do not provide wheely bins for general waste - although they are now selling them at £10 each for compost waste. When I lived in Egham, Surrey which came under Runnymead BC, the rates were cheap yet they provided wheely bins. I suspect that unlike yourself, many local authorities do not address this issue under the misguided understanding that it's not their problem because the waste collection services are contracted out. The contractors probably think they can't do anything about it because they have to work with the inadequate budget that enabled them to win the tender. Good luck!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 May 2003 12:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Granger Chichester District Council are currently phasing in wheeled bins and a comprehensive recycling box scheme.We currently use bags collection but will continue to use bags as 'purchased overflow collection which are charged. This leaves us managing both problems! The safety team have been instrumental in descisions regarding manufacturer of the wheelie bins, size of recycle boxes and vehicle modification for both wheelie bins and kerbside collection of recycle boxes. Leg cuts to safety of sack handlers introduced ballistic trousers (double side seam)for all refuse and ground staff. We still have difficulty in selecting the correct gloves at affordable prices. Training on wheelie bin use is important as misuse can introduce greater risks than bags. Our approach has included a separate support team who troubleshoot to assess property and client needs. They also audit the refuse to identify environmental contaminants that the public have been instructed not to put in the larger capacity bins. The bottom line to operatives is to refuse to lift if in doubt. In addition to this we have developed a special 'manual handling of wheeled bins' training course on power point which I can send to fellow practitioners.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 May 2003 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Hurst I too work for a Local authority (having joined in January this year) and am a Safety Officer who, amongst other things, provides advice and support to our Refuse and Street Cleansing operation. This has been a particularly interesting thread as our aurthority uses both bin bags and wheelie bins in various locations. Obviously, this causes confusion and difficulties for operatives. I would be particularly interested to see the Powerpoint presentation if it would be possible to send it to me? Thanks David
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 May 2003 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry hutton Thanks for the messages I was interested to read the responses. Are assessment of risk has considered using the assessment format shown in the manual handling regs. We believe that there are still significant risk associate with wheelie bin operation e.g. bins being overloaded; use of lifting equipment; etc. Has anyone else actually used the manual handling assessment format to consider the risks and if so what were the results.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 May 2003 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sylvia A bit of history, too. In the olden days, and still in parts of the country, refuse collectors used to pick up bins, metal or plastic, hoik them on their shoulders, and empty them directly into the vehicle, breathing in all the dust too. When replaced by bin bag systems, the 'weight' aspect of the MH risk was reduced, as bin bags cannot hold (for long!) the weights that could be cunningly disguised in a robust bin, from rubble or scrap metal or even large quantities of paper. However, other risks arose, as bin bags are often picked up and flung one-handed, and the injuries from sharp items piercing hands and legs increased, although the risk to feet from dropping heavy bins was almost eliminated. Wheelie bins are probably the best but still some risk remains, and there are thousands of households in the UK where wheelie bins are difficult to store or collect. Now many LAs also have recycling boxes - and how easy are they to pick up and empty? And what are they likely to be holding - Almost back to square one . .
Admin  
#10 Posted : 09 May 2003 17:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough Earlier respondents have already described the manual handling advantages of wheelie bins over black plastic bags, except probably at households with lots of steps or steep steps. Wheelie bins also have other advantages: they are less prone to the problems of spillage which occur with bags because householders cannot be bothered to tie them. Also, they cannot be ripped open by cats, dogs and notably foxes - which now seem to thrive on edible refuse in urban areas. In this respect wheelie bins should be advantageous to the refuse collection crews who are saved the time and effort of shovelling up spillages. However, I suppose that yobbos could take delight in tipping over and spilling the contents of wheelie bins or even setting their contents alight. I also understand that in some areas the greater capacity of wheelie bins compared with bags permits significant savings because refuse collections can be reduced from a weekly to a fortnightly basis. However, I imagine that this may need to be accompanied by an effective recycling scheme which reduces the amount of stuff which goes in the bins. Some of you may enjoy the following whimsical yarn about an event which allegedly occurred when wheelie bins were introduced in one area, probably somewhere in Yorkshire, a few years ago. A binman (a refuse collection operative if you want to be posh)went to a house and couldn't see the new bin which the householder should have started using. As he looked, the householder - who happened to be Chinese - came out of his house. "Where's yer bin?" asked the binman. The householder replied "I've bin to China". "No - where's yer wheelie bin? asked the binman. "Well, I've weally bin to China" came the reply!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 11 May 2003 12:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey DIP2,OSH MIOSH I think there are some interesting points that have come out in this thread and it would be great if other LA safety staff made comments on the approach that they have taken. Mark, can I say that your local authority will take all you waste "where it fits into a bag or bin" however the law does not require it all to be taken at once !!. A weekly wheeelie bin collection should be sufficient for most households. There may be another reason why other LA's have stayed with bagged waste. I would assume that these authorities have low tonnage rates and therefore do not have to recycle a great deal to meet the percentage targets on recycling they have to achieve. Steve, please could I have a copy of you presentation. I use a more modern approach to manual handing training for refuse crews trying to cover the basic safety principle of their job, whilst making them aware of the potential accumulative back problems. You might like to look at VOCAM's Manual Handling - the modern approach video this is very good. We have taken the approach that one glove can not fit all for this task, the risks are numerous from needles to glass, from food waste to rodents. A solid rigger like glove does tend to be fit for purpose, although we ran a trial with refuse crews to get them involved in the choice.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 11 May 2003 16:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernard J. Hallinan Barry, I, like many of the other respondants on the topic, am not personally involved with a local authority. In Ireland the tipping cost at tipheads has increased so dramatically in recent years that many private refuse collection companies have been forced to seriously turn to recycling as a realistic option. With this in mind, a company that collects the refuse in my area has recently issued a second wheelie bin to all households for all dry recyclables. Now the recycling bin and the standard bin are collected on alternate weeks with huge savings on tipping costs for the waste collector, apparently sufficient savings to justify the issueing of a second wheelie bin to all households. Maybe some such initiative could fund your changeover to wheelie bin collections.