Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2003 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt HSE are currently consulting on how effective the PPE Regs 92 have been in implementing the EC Directive 89/656/EEC Their questionnaire is available to download form : www.hse.gov.uk/spd.pdf/question.pdf This might be an opportunity to push for the introduction of specific Regulations (or the amendment of the existing ones) in relation to the provision of safety boots/shoes which seems to cause many H&S Practitioners problems. We have seen contributions on this forum from colleagues who seem to be at a loss as to who supplies them, who pays for them, when they should be replaced, etc etc. Any thoughts....?? Eric
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2003 10:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton I know they definitely need to get the question of VAT sorted out on safety shoes, this causes me no end of headaches. We buy the safety shoes for all our employees up to a generous amount - an amount that will buy 75% of the shoes in the catalogue, however, if people want to pay extra for CATs or something then they pay the extra. I have a problem, however, when we come to the question of personal purchase. Boots are exempt from VAT under the Safety Boots and Protective Helmets Order but shoes are not. How does this work? Someone certainly needs to check out this anomaly as it is absolutely crackers!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2003 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser The discussions on this subject have often revolved around the definition of "employer" and it hasn't been restricted to PPE since provision of work equipment has had similar problems. The difficulty appears to be where there is a heavy use of contracted parties, often utilising casual labour which is either employed via an agency or taken on as self-employed personnel. I do not believe that legislation would help here - the requirements are clear. It is the interpretation of who is repsonsible that muddies the waters. Often contracts state that contractors are responsible for meeting the necessary legislative requirements but it doesn't give much in the way of detail, and the only time it is challenged is when there is a dispute or worse, an accident. Perhaps a more appropriate approach would be for contracting companies to take a closer look at their bidding requirements and guidance so that potential contractors are in no doubt as to who would be taking responsibility for what, especially the provision of PPE and work equipment and co-ordination with the contractee. As an aside, I just tried to pull up that questionnaire and it wouldn't link, nor is it in the HSE Website under "Current consultations and Discussions". I've had problems with similar links in the past - is it me? Is there a different section I should be referencing? Just my thoughts on the subject.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2003 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Apologies Misplaced a dot for a stroke !!! Website should be www.hse.gov/spd/pdf/question.pdf (Got a lot on my mind as there are only 226 shopping days left 'til Christmas.... ) Eric