Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2003 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond
A member of staff has it in writing from her otition that she needs a new pair of glasses specifically for close-up work AND for viewing DSE.

I'm confused. The Guidance to the Regs says that 'special corrective appliances' are those prescribed to correct vision defects at the viewing distance specifically for DSE work.

Can optitions prescribe 1 pair of glasses for both distances? should we pay for them?

Please help!!

Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2003 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky
Don't you think that "close up work" and DSE use is one and the same?
I think that if you have it in writing from the employees optician, then how can you argue against supplying or paying for a basic pair of specs, who is most qualified in that area?
(I need glasses for reading and DSE work, but not for watching the (big) TV or at any other time.
Regards
Nicky)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2003 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel

Ther are two questions here.
1 = DSE regs.
2 = Other areas / regs.
The DSE regs are quite easy to manage.

The work the employees is claiming for is not DES work but falls under general H&S etc and the question is similar to the one re: Do we supply glasses to machine tool operators, welders, designers etc and others who do close work over a period of time and this colse work has contributed to sight loss etc?

As an example we supply [none PPE]glasses to our joiners re close / fine work as sight fails over time. The question re DSE regs does not come into it.

The question to answer is; does the work contribute to the loss of sight or is it simply old age etc. If it can be argued that it is a mix of both then management has some duty towards paying some part of the costs.
Noting that if accuracy is needed it may be an investment.

If it can be demonstrated that the sight loss etc is not work related but simply personal to the worker then management has no duty to supply.

Note the areas /steps re R4 MHSW - A proper ergonomic assessment can answer many questions. Either way the decision can open up a can of worms.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2003 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
For some customers, opticians may be able to prescribe a sort of compromise spectacles for the 'intermediate' focal distance that will provide for the users DSE focal distance and also for reasonable vision correction at normal reading distance - although this will not enable reading to the lower sizes of script that conventional 'reading' spectacles would provide. This may well have been an 'economic' or 'convenience' decision by the user to avoid having to obtain two separate pairs. Given that the prescription will, almost certainly, be at a different level than that which would have been made for conventional reading only, my inclination would be to accept that the spectacles are provided to meet the DSE Regs. It would, however, be interesting to hear whether others have come across this issue and, if so, their responses.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2003 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
To come back on Bob's point above, the DSE Regs require employers to provide spectacles at reasonable cost if needed by users where normal spectacles cannot be used irrespective of whether vision deterioration has resulted from work. I would suggest that part of the intention of this legislation is to avoid vision deterioration from DSE use.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2003 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
You are required under DSE to purchase glasses for middle vision problems. Clearly this is the case and so provision for these glasses must be made. Close up work may be connected with the age of the person - you don't say. Eyesight does fail over time. Have they considered (is it even an option) varifocal glasses. In instances like this we have a set amount which buys a pair of standard DSE spectacles which everyone working on DSE is entitled to should they need. Where a correction needs to be made to a prescription to take DSE into account then we give the employee this much towards the cost of their spectacles.

You are not required to purchase glasses for close up work (unless these are PPE of course) so how you handle this is up to you. However, bear in mind that if you do buy these glasses for your employee you are setting a precedent and may be open to claims from anyone who has to wear glasses for their job.

Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 May 2003 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Bob

Does close up work causes lack of sight?

I wasn't aware of that, could you point me in the direction of some information/research that would confirm the point?

Geoff

Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 May 2003 20:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Essex
If the employee has been told they need glasses, and the optition has given the reason, then you should pay for a pair of basic glasses. If the employee wants a designer pair (as I did) they have to pay the difference.

At the end of the day if a member of your staff needs glasses to operate a VDU then it's a good investment by your firm, and should help your absence management.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 19 May 2003 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
I think the question is would the 'close vision' spectacles also be suitable for vdu use. If so the employee does not need a 'special corrective appliance' and the employer would not need to provide them. If they were not the employer would need to provide them for the vdu distance.

Some of the responses have been on the lines of provide them anyway; in some large organisations with over 10000 users, say,
that can be costly. And anyway why should just the vdu users benefit from an employers generosity, why not machine operators, people who read paper documents, drivers?

I'm not sure I agree with Ken's point (ie 'I would suggest that part of the intention of this legislation is to avoid vision deterioration from DSE use'). The HSC view is: 'There is no reliable evidence that work with DSE causes any permanent damage to eyes or eyesight, but it may make users with pre-existing vision defects more aware of them'.

I'm inclined to think the original Directive was driven by politics rather than rational h&s considerations.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 19 May 2003 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy
Nigel.

The HELA guidance on this subject will be of some help. Visit http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/16-3.htm. In particular the Statement of Good Practice issued by The British College of Optometrists expains the position.

John
Admin  
#11 Posted : 20 May 2003 09:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
To be fair, Jack, the British College of Optometrists also say in the same paragraph that 'because of their visually demanding nature, VDUs may precipitate symptoms such as headaches, blurred vision, etc caused by a problem in the eye which has not been apparent when the employee has been carrying out other work'. There is certainly a wide-spread opinion that continual looking at display screens, close TV monitors and the like leads to eyesight deterioration even if this is regarded as precipitating the process of age-related deterioration and I would contend that this may well have been in the minds of those framing the original directive.

The decisions to be taken by the employer as to whether to pay the reasonable cost of properly prescribed glasses for the DSE user are: whether they are 'special' or 'normal'. In the case in question we do not know for sure whether they are normal reading glasses that happen to also be suitable for DSE use but it is notable that the optician has taken the trouble to state in writing to the employer that they are also for DSE use - something not normally done when normal reading glasses are prescribed. For some people it is possible to amend the prescription for what would have been that for reading glasses in order to enable them to see their DSE screens in focus and still read all but the very small print (ie a type of compromise). I suspect that this is the case here. My inclination would have been to pay, however, another approach could be to go back to the optician for better clarification. I certainly wouldn't reject the request on the available information and finish up with another disgruntled employee and possible resultant health effects.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 20 May 2003 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond
Thank you all very much for your helpful and interesting replies and for not criticising my appalling spelling!!

Perhaps I need glasses!

Regards

Nigel
Admin  
#13 Posted : 20 May 2003 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craig Newby
Nigel

We have come across this problem in our workplace. We were finding that people were going for DSE eye tests and returning with bi-focal lenses. We have now changed our policy on this to stipulate that only single lense glasses can be claimed for under DSE. One of the main reasons being, that if you watch a computer operator using bi focal lenses they either tilt their head up or down. This has led to some neck and shoulder complaints.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 20 May 2003 17:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
look at it this way (no pun intended)!

what cost would it be to the company if this employee could not perform his duties to the best of his abilities as he couldn't see the 'fine work'? Would your QA suffer? will this result in returned products? increased customer complaints? or rejected components on grounds of quality / failure? against the cost of a pair of specs!!
Admin  
#15 Posted : 21 May 2003 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I'm with you regarding the bifocals, Craig and have been advising users against them for this (and some other reasons) for years. This is one instance where I am not entirely happy with the HSE guidance (Paras 82 & 83 of L26). I would rather swap glasses as and when necessary than get neck ache.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 21 May 2003 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
At the risk of being a pain in the neck!!!

I use bifocals and do tilt my head up slightly - but I don't get neck pains. The disadvantage of having to keep track of two pairs of glasses would outweigh any perceived gains.

In our assessments it is quite common to find people doing things they shouldn't but are not experiencing any ill effects.

Unless it is a gross abuse my philosophy is to leave well alone if people are comfortable at the workstation - it is difficult to put blanket policies in place that suit everybody and individual circumstances should be taken into account.

Geoff

Admin  
#17 Posted : 21 May 2003 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craig Newby
The whole idea of introducing a policy Geoff is to protect all, even those that may not have a problem. The increased risk of ill health effects from using bi-focals at a workstation were backed up by an ergonomics expert we contacted via IOSH. It's good to know that you don't personally have any problems with using bi focals but I know from experience that there are people out there that do.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 21 May 2003 17:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
And they are cheaper of course.

Geoff