Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2003 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall The school that my daughter attends has withdrawn drinking water supplies from children. For the last five months she has had to take bottled water in. I think there has been a issue raised regarding cross contamination from the water fountains. Now we are getting reprimanded for bottled water spillages in book bags when the kids return from school !! Does anyone know much about why this is the case that water has been withdrawn?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2003 15:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Aj Saunders I cant comment on why the water was removed, most likely due to contamination of some sort. As a parent i would be furious if there were no drinking water provisions at a school for 5 months. Reg 22 of the Health, Safety & Welfare Regs requires a wholesome supplu of drinking water. 5 months is a long time even for a Local Authority. Have water provisions been put in place ?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2003 15:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Would have thought that this was a basic right and this practice is illegal???
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2003 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall They claim that it has been a "government initiative" !! When I complained they said that if the child did run out of water they can re-fill from one of the water bottles that I suspect is a facility for staff only.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2003 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Suggest that you tell the local news paper and radio station as in line with a previous thread there is 'good copy' to have here. The first case of dehydration and illnes as a result will cost them more that any water savings here. Sack the board of governors and the Head. Thatcher Thatcher the Milk snatcher!! Can anyone come up with a water snatcher??
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2003 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall THIS IS GOING THROUGH MY MIND TOO. IT'S DEFINATELY A GOVERNER ISSUE.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 May 2003 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Aj Saunders Labour Labour the Water Saver!! I am sure they will argue the point that there is sufficient drinking water available throughout the toilets on site (as long as it has been properly marked as such, and subject to regular testing) I can see there might have been problems with contamination within water fountains, but to stop access entirely is diabolical in my opinion. I am a safety professional within the education establishment and i have never come across anything like this within my time here in Scotland...crazy crazy crazy. So much for caring for the youth of today, our countrys future !!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 May 2003 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Ah, without sounding petty they told me that there is a health and safety issue here, in respect to the water fountains have been creating a slip hazard - particularly with children in the early years (like my daughter) which rubs salt in the wounds !! I ain't told them my discipline yet, I am just waiting to here their argument in full before I attempt to rip them to bits on this one.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 15 May 2003 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Go for it Tony - I am a H&S Governor as well as my real job - ask the appropriate Governor why? Mind you I am not at all surprised by this action - it may be as a result of a slip and someone has not thought the implications through. I am constantly amazed at the lack of awareness at school level. I have heard of a similar situation where toilet paper & hand towels were removed because they were a fire risk!!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 16 May 2003 08:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall The crazy world that we live in. I was not that fussed about paying for bottled water, but I just got over annoyed when I recieved a standard letter asking parents to send water bottles in a seperate bag (or carry seperately to avoid wetting anything in the book bags). A book bag, a PE bag and a water bag makes three bags and unless I'm mistaken the child has two hands ?? Now I'll address this lack of drinking water in a different light.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 16 May 2003 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce You don't say whether or not the school is independant, voluntary aided or operated by the LEA. If it's LEA run - contact the LEA H&S team, you should be able to find their contact numbers, and ask their opinion. It could be that they know nothing about this. I work as a safety adviser within an LEA and quite often we don't get to hear about this sort of thing at a local level until we are tipped off, or something happens like a slip etc. I bet your bottom dollar, this "initiative" has been dreamt up by the Head and using the old Health and Safety tag, makes people think it's a genuine requirement. Either way, you'll have a bit more power for your arguments when you approach the school yourself. If its voluntary aided etc, approach the governing body, who are the employers in this case and therefore are the ones who should be putting this right. If it's a Church school, they will probably have a safety person or "schools adviser" with safety responsibilities at the diocesan office, again a call here might make all the difference. A previous respondents comments about the Welfare Regs is spot on - make them do the job properly, bottles as a stop-gap while they repair is OK, but as a long term measure.....! Good luck.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 16 May 2003 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton I too am a school Governor at an infants school in addition to my day job and advise on H&S issues (of course). I, and the other members of the Governing Body, would be appalled at this situation. Suggest you contact the LEA with a formal complaint. The enforcing body for schools is the Local Authority so suggest you contact them as well. Five months is way too long. We all appreciate it may take a few weeks to sort out as the wheels of education move very slowly. They appear to have two speeds, dead slow and stop and we seem to have slipped here from dead slow into stop. Perhaps if they spent less time putting our children through needless stressful SATS and other tests they could spend a little time on ensuring they have the basic requirements of life! Hilary
Admin  
#13 Posted : 16 May 2003 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Thanks for the last two points in particular. In answer to Mr Bruce, yes it is LEA school. Yes, I bet that the local authority education safety personnel do not have a clue about this.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 16 May 2003 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Euan Turner I think Dave's got the right idea with the water snatcher... there's definitely a creeping trend to 'privatise' the provision of drinking water. Take away access to mains water and surprise surprise, the sales of bottled water will increase. Health is often cited as a reason, whereas I remember up here in Scotland an analysis carried out a few years ago proved that tap water was in most cases of superior quality to anything bottled! And I wonder what the long-term environmental impact of all these prviate springs and bottling plants cropping up to meet 'demand' will be? Or am I just being paranoid? And apologies for taking the thread in a slightly different direction...
Admin  
#15 Posted : 16 May 2003 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall You will be happy to know that the LEA Safety Adviser has told me that it is their policy to have drinking water available - whatever method, be it supplied by the parents or school. So the duty then goes back to us - as parents (does it not?). He tells me that this is an issue that I need to take up with the school concerned. Never at one point in time did he ask me the school name !! The thing is, I have asked the school and their reply was that "it is a health and safety issue". I still can't understand which issue they refer to. Is this just me ??
Admin  
#16 Posted : 16 May 2003 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Being more of a sceptic this sounds rather like finance amy also have a big part and the school has taken a decision based on finance rather than thinking through the matter or being aware of the legal requirements and/or ramifications. Maintaining and testing drinking water supplies costs money, and drinking fountains are a prime target for vandalism and acts of what could be described as 'contamination' (without going into details!). If these were withdrawn and teacher supplied with chilled water dispensers - and children have to bring their own, oh-joy, look at the money we could save on maintenance, testing, repair etc...etc... I think the matter needs to go higher than the Governers of the school. I would suggest a letter (signed by a group of parents) to the local education authority, with a copy sent to the head master for the attention of the Governors would get much smarter attention. Perhaps a copy to the local press also would not go amiss !!!
Admin  
#17 Posted : 16 May 2003 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris I agree with a lot of the comments on the removal of supply. It would appear to me that a majority of schools have a poor understanding of H & S. My wife is teaching assistant and I astounded by some of the things that she tells me. I do give her advice, but it either falls on deaf ears or it is treated with apathy>
Admin  
#18 Posted : 16 May 2003 11:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi The regulations that apply in context of welfare of pupils are the The Education (School Premises) Regulations 1999. http://www.legislation.h...k/si/si1999/19990002.htm These Regulations revoke and re-enact with modifications the Education (School Premises) Regulations 1996 ("the 1996 Regulations"). The Regulations apply to schools maintained by local education authorities. Regulation 22 is about Water Supplies:- Regulation 22 (1) A school shall have a wholesome supply of water for domestic purposes including a supply of drinking water. (2) Water closets and urinals shall have an adequate supply of cold water and washbasins, sinks (including deep sinks), baths and showers shall have an adequate supply of hot and cold water. (3) The temperature of hot water supplies to baths and showers shall not exceed 43°C. There is a DFEE (now DFES) Circular on this that gives guidance on these regulations.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 16 May 2003 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall So it isn't just me. I'm glad to see that so far most of you fellow safety professionals are thinking like me. No-one yet as given me a practical answer why the bottled water thing is a health and safety initiative. Don't get me wrong, the school has said that it's level of supervision is sufficicient and I do not have reason to think otherwise. However, this shared duty of care of a welfare issue at the school is something I can't grasp. I don't have a problem with the committment as parents to shared duties regarding education but not welfare or hygiene issues whilst at school. Surely this is a management issue, hence the reason I have opted to approach the school Governor concerned.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 16 May 2003 11:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By stephen j mills Tony, Sorry to have to disagree with Hilary, but Local Authorities do not have enforcement responsibilities for schools, the HSE do. A LA cannot take enforcement action on itself, which it would be doing with a LEA establishment, and the Enforcing Authority Regs place educational establishments with the HSE.
Admin  
#21 Posted : 16 May 2003 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Stephen, thanks I do understand the enforcement part but this is about the LEA's policy that there are two options. 1 THE SCHOOL SUPPLIES WATER 2 THE SCHOOL DECIDES THAT THE PARENTS SUPPLY WATER That seems inconsistent to me.
Admin  
#22 Posted : 16 May 2003 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By stephen j mills Totally agree Tony. The school is required to provide the drinking water, but should not object if some parents wish to send their children to school with their own bottled water. I think someone here has lost the plot!
Admin  
#23 Posted : 16 May 2003 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Have you heard of the "Water is cool in schools" campaign. I dont know how active it still is, but there is some interesting information on the web at http://www.eric.org.uk/infosheets.doc and www.coolschools.org.uk It almost sounds as if your school has joined the campaign, but lost the plot and failed dismally with the PR John
Admin  
#24 Posted : 16 May 2003 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi The guidance for The Education (School Premises) Regulations 1999 is "Standards for School Premises" This guidance describes, and advises on meeting, the minimum standards for the premises of all maintained schools in England and Wales. Non-maintained special schools and approved independent schools must also meet some of these standards. http://www.teachernet.go...ocbank/index.cfm?id=3928 Water supplies Schools must have a wholesome water supply meeting the requirements of the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 1989 (as amended). There is guidance on water quality in Section E, ‘Hot and cold water supplies’, of DfES Building Bulletin 87, Guidelines for Environmental Design in Schools (revision of Design Note 17), and in section 15, ‘Water quality’, of Building Bulletin 83, Schools’ Environmental Assessment Method (SEAM). Water supplied for domestic purposes means water for washing, cleaning floors, washing up crockery and for drinking. The Regulations do not specify how drinking water should be provided for pupils. Most schools provide drinking fountains, although these can be prone to damage. Health and Safety guidance* advises that drinking water taps should not be installed in sanitary accommodation. There are no standards for the distribution of drinking water outlets throughout school premises, but bodies responsible should consider the pattern of demand within schools, which can be concentrated within quite short breaks. The Regulations do not require drinking water outlets to be labelled but there may be benefits in labelling drinking water and non-drinking water outlets. Water closets and urinals must have an adequate supply of cold water and washbasins, sinks, baths and showers must have adequate supplies of both hot and cold water. To minimise the risk of scalding, the temperature of hot water supplies to baths and showers must not exceed 43oC. DfES Building Bulletin 77, Designing for Pupils with Special Educational Needs: Special Schools, backs up this statutory standard by recommending that hot water delivered at outlets such as washbasins, sinks and showers should be at a temperature of 38oC-42oC. Related Documents: • The Education (School Premises) Regulations 1999 • (for England only) section 77 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 and DfES Circular 3/99, The Protection of School Playing Fields Superseded Documents: • DfES Circular 10/96, The 1996 School Premises Regulations There are excellent resources on teachernet & governernet as far as Schools specific health, safety & Welfare in context of school facilites & buildings information is concerned. The websites are :- http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/buildings http://www.teachernet.gov.uk http://www.governornet.co.uk
Admin  
#25 Posted : 16 May 2003 15:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Thank you for all your replies. They add substance to my argument. Jay, you could get me out of court one day (joke).