Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2003 04:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Au
In theatre stage, it is normal to use movable lifting working platform for focusing overhead spotlights. Sometimes, scenes on the stage floor obstruct the outriggers with fully extension. How can I prevent the platform to topple when worker is working at approx. over 8 meter height?

Thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2003 12:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Euan Turner
Danny, I presume you are referring to the use of a tallescope? If you are, please get in touch as I can send you some examples of how we manage the associated risks in Scottish theatres. You might also want to contact the Association of British Theatre Technicians (ABTT, www.abtt.org.uk) who are currently developing some guidance on the use of tallescopes with the HSE - I have a paper copy of a recent draft which I could also send to you. If it would be helpful, I could put you in touch with some cheif LX's who could give you their practical experiences of adopting a tallescope procedure...

my e-mail is euan.turner@s4t.org.uk, hope to hear from you soon.

kind regards

Euan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2003 22:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
The draft guidance interests me, Euan, as we have a tallescope in one of our school theatres. Any chance of an e-mailed copy? Up to your response, I would have said that the designers requirements for base to height dimension should be observed. Of course, lighting assemblies that can be lowered for adjustment can be a better option that elevated working.