Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2003 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter
Dear Administrator or ajudicator or person who does the webchat for IOSH.
Can you explain to me how the system works? The reason for my query is that I posted a thread last Friday (16th May). Not an interesting one I grant you but one I would have welcomed some help on (hence posting it in the first place) Once posted it joined the page near the bottom of the threads and today three days later or the next working day if on five day, Mon to Fri contracts it has been relegated to the second page, where I suspect very few refer to generally! I thought new threads started at the top of the page and worked down over the next few days, some longer. But this 'see it, remember it, bin it' approach seems harsh, even if no one knew the answer to my query. So ! some advice please, how do we post threads so that we get the best chance of our peers getting time to assist us?? (Confused North West) Really Ed.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2003 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Ed,

You've hit exactly the problem that Allan was referring to when he posted "Forum Page Design" - currently at the bottom of page 5 and about to go to page 6 when the next new thread is posted!

Unfortunately it all comes down to how busy the Forum is at the time, and posts that do not attract a prompt answer are always in danger of being "bumped" quite quickly when a flurry of new threads are posted. The only way to make sure you keep it current is to post a response appealing for info again, as this will bring it back up to the top of the pile - and challenging your fellow professionals for an answer, as it were!

The webmaster is looking at it - see Allan's post for details - and there has been a lively debate on the subject as a result.

I just hope that any changes are for the better and improve this already excellent resource.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2003 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
Hi Ed

Found your thread on page 2. Unfortunately it seems that the amount of traffic was very high on Friday and over the weekend. The latest response seems to go to the top of the list and everything else moves down one. Unfortunately you must have launched your thread when there were some very interesting topics being discussed and chewed over which resulted in it losing impetus very quickly.

Why don't you try launching it again. Sorry I can't help you with an answer to it as I just don't know on this one but I should be interested as surely parental permission will have to be granted for children under 16?

Good luck

Hilary