Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2003 09:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
I have been talking with our local Waste Person at the Council who advises me that we shall soon be going on to wheelie bins and recycling boxes (and not a moment too soon I hear you cry). However, she also told me that any bin bags that do not fit into the wheelie bin will have to be taken to the local dump by myself. The wheelie bin apparently takes three black bin bags.

Ordinarily this should suffice, but when you've got kids and they have birthdays you tend to get peaks in your rubbish output. I did read on the forum that the Council are responsible for taking ALL standard household waste (excluding garden and large items) and am seeking clarification on this point.

Can you help?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2003 10:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kirsty Bryson
We have been participating in this type of scheme for over a year now - we have 3 different bins - normal refuse is collected fortnightly and garden refuse and bottles, cans, textiles and papers are collected the alternate week.

I do not mind participating but have recently had words with the Recycling Office as I put out textiles to be collected - they were left so when I phoned I was told that the recycling van was not very big and that if it was full before it reached me then my things would not be collected - not exactly encouraging!!

We have been informed that now we may only leave one extra bag if our normal bin is full. No other bags will be collected. One thought here - how many injuries will result - I have seen a number of people in my area jumping on top of the rubbish in the wheelie bin in an attempt to get more in the bin!

Is it really hygienic to have waste festering in a bin for two weeks before it is collected.

I am sure I read somewhere that a study had been carried out in Scandanavia that indicated that Refuse Collecters health was at risk because of fumes from rubbish that was only being collected fortnightly affecting their respiratory systems.

I think eventually we will all end up paying depending on how much rubbish we produce - I think that is the way it is going.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2003 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
This isn't a response in a professional capacity, but I am currently househunting and one house I visited had three wheelie bins - apparently, our LA (Aberdeen City) provides extra bins if you can justify their use and the number of children in a household is one such consideration.

However, I have also discovered that our neighbouring authority (Aberdeenshire) have advised private households that although the bins were initially provided free of charge, if they are lost or damaged there will be a charge for replacement. I presume that would also apply to any additional bins requested now but I don't know for sure.

So it comes down to whatever the council decides in relation to it's refuse collection policies. I'm not sure what the legal ramifications are, but I do know that ours won't pick up anything outside of the official container and they must be able to support this decision legally - unless of course it's because no one has had the time, money or interest to challenge it in court so far!