Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2003 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
We have been refurbishing toilets in the factory, the subject of replacing the old lino has come up.
The fitter says "You`ll need anti slip in there, its against health & safety"

My initial assessment is that normal vinyl should be OK - all the workers are in nice, dry jobs and the toilets are a fir distance from the outside door. The cleaner mops and dries the floor and puts up caution notices when the floor is wet.

Any guidance appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2003 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott
Neal - Vinyl versus old lino Eh! A non slip version would be preferable as it is generally supplied & fitted with welded seams and upstands. Although modern vinyls are good you will need to be satisfied that they will withstand chemicals (urine can be quite destructive particularly when mixed with some cleaning materials)and have a decent life bearing in mind the traffic. We tend to use a heavier duty type flooring eg Altro in all our bathroom, toilet and kitchen areas for its ease of cleaning and durability - and it is non slip too.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2003 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dyfed Rowlands
I would start by undertaking a risk assessment - may prove useful not only in reducing/minimising the risks etc. but in giving you some clout when obtaining money from the powers that be.

I would also advise that you take into consideration that accidents do happen in toilets (e.g. spilling water from sink units, urinating on the floor surface), irrespective of the work that your employees undertake. I would tend to go with the slip-resistant material - I know I'm being petty, but is there such a thing as a non-slip floor?

Last but not least - take note from the HSG Series - sorry forgot the numbers.

Good Luck

Dyfed
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2003 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Neal,

Another point to consider.

How clean and tidy are your toilets.

Are the janitors visits timed, regular as per a schedule.

If the toilets are kept clean and montiored regularly, you may be ok, but how is your claims culture.

One slip accident in there may have paid for the non-slip floor.

As someone has already said, a risk assessment should clear things up.

Regards

Andrew
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 May 2003 14:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Neal.

If this really is 'old' linoleum then you may also be well advised to carry out asbestos sampling and testing before it is 'ripped up' to enable the correct precautions to be taken if it should contain asbestos...
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2003 08:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
Thanks for your replies, I`ll take them on board when ordering.

The asbestos angle is one I had considered - not in this cas I think, but something for us all to bear in mind in future.

Thanks again
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2003 10:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
Neal,

There is very little difference in cost between normal commercial grade vinyl flooring and slip resistant grades. Most suppliers - Altro have been mentioned above - have a range. All are fitted the same way, with welded seams. The labour cost is therefore the same.

Given the added protection from a slip resistant grade it would be penny pinching not to use one. Extracating an injured person who has fallen down the side of a toilet is no joke.

As for degredation, it is domestic grades which degrade, the commercial stuff should last longer than you need to worry about, particularly if kept clean. You will get a much better job if you can remove the WC pans to lay the floor - the cost is partly offset by the flooring fitters having an easier job and you won't have an unhygienic gap to catch the urine dribbles.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 20 May 2003 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Thomas
Neal

I think you'll find there's no such thing as 'non-slip', just 'slip resistant', and as such there are plenty of products on the market. Your friendly flooring company rep will provide you with a ton(ne) of information no doubt. As for linoleum, try 'Marmolem'. This product is made from natural materials, is hygienic, bacteriostatic, biodegradable, scratch and cigarette burn resistant and easy to maintain. I'm not a rep for the manufacturers but I have specified the product for Hospital refurbs and new build in the past. The users of the areas in question have been most impressed and that says a lot considering we're talking medical staff here!!!!!

Quick Joke - What's the difference between God and a hospital consultant?

God doesn't think (s)he's a hospital consultant.

Regards

Rob