Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2003 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams
Hi all,

I've just been approached by someone in our purchasing department asking when the new legislation for mandatory vision screening on company car drivers comes into effect? They have been asked to source a course by our fleet department.

As this is news to me, i may have missed something? Could anyone comment on if they know about this.

Thanks

Ash
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2003 18:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
As far as I am aware, company car drivers are required to go for eyesight tests at intervals of 2 years - this is the interval we have set but you will have to check the actual limit on this. It was part of the HSE drive towards Work Related Road Safety last year and the HSE have a complete section on www.hse.gov.uk devoted to it.

I don't think it is a legal requirement as yet but is certainly sought after and strongly recommended by the HSE. Perhaps someone with a larger fleet (we have 4 cars!) can give you more information on it.

Hope this helps anyway

Hilary
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2003 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sylvia
There is no specific legislation distinguishing company car or fleet drivers (of cars) from any other car driver. The first step would have to be "define company car driver" . . So legally eyesight requirements are as per existing (see DVLA guidance - usually a basic number plate test is used).
As a matter of policy within organisations - well that's down to each one to assess & decide. It might be a "good thing" but would that makes it reasonable to do in each & every case?
Vision tests can be provided by opticians, some will use specific portable kit (Keystone Tester etc.)they can bring onto site and batch test.
However, any policy will also need to cover what will happen if the screening reveals a sight problem - which may or may not be legally restrictive.
Personally I would direct my efforts into policies to reduce driver fatigue and next-day over-the-limit driving (alchohol) and to improving driver education and awareness to whatever degree thought appropriate.