Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 May 2003 12:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Has anyone been? I went on Tuesday and it appeared empty. It is not the same as it was years ago.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 May 2003 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Whent I went Tuesday....seems exactly the same as every other year I've been to me. None of the stands appear to have any vision, it seems to be two or three bored exhibitors shuffling around in front of their display ( and these weren't particularly eye catching), waiting for the bell to ring so that they can go home. That said it was 600% better than the IOSH attempt in Bournemouth (?) a few years ago. Where is the energy? It's hard enough to get enthusiasm from managers (safety and non-safety)to go to these events. The ski show may have the advantage of selling sexy stuff but maybe it's time that the safety industry woke up to the fact that 80% of the companies are trying to sell the same thing but just in a different box, whether training or products, and that the only way they are going to be a player in the market is to do it a little bit different. RANT OVER! Rob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2003 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall The aisles used to be packed to the rafter in the late 80's / early 90's era. It's a bit of a rip off for both parking and food I'd say too. I think alot of organisations have adopted the casual dress code which appears more approachable to some (Totectors and Safety Media). I did pass one stand (won't mention the name on here)and the three people were sitting down like it was a car boot sale. I did not go onto that stand.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2003 13:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams A colleague and myself went yesterday, and I have to admit the efforts of the exhibitors were pathetic at best, and so many of the people on stands were apathetic and didn’t even seem interested. Maybe the suppliers all contracted out the stands to an exhibition company to man. My biggest complaint however would be the lack of freebies
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2003 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Nottingham Trent Uni had free key fobs !!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2003 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Whent But at least we can all look forward to full post bags for the next few weeks, and say the we have done our bit for the environment when we put it all in the recycle bin!!!! R
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 May 2003 13:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams On the subject of the environment I did attend every show for a nosey while i was there. The was a nice firm in the Facilities show who offered to pulp your unwanted rubbish as you entered their area. Quite a clever idea I thought. Ash
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 May 2003 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Actually I'd think it very relevant to go into the facilies side,it's just that I was stuck for time.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 22 May 2003 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Yer miserable lot! I went on Tuesday and the lack of crowds made it a very pleasant experience. I never bother with PPE stands - such a small element of H&S control. The lack of freebies means I can get to stands to discuss my interests rather than jostle with the vultures. There are only so many pens & key rings one can use anyway. I bumped into lots of folks I knew so it was a pleasant social occasion for me. One stand that I thought was great was IOSH - well done the folks concerned And finally (important this), I went with someone with a VIP badge, so I got free coffee and biccies!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 22 May 2003 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall My vote was for ROSPA, as they had the best carpet. The things you spot.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 22 May 2003 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Whent No, the vibrating chairs have my vote!
Admin  
#12 Posted : 22 May 2003 18:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Have to agree with most of the comments. Last time I went it was at Earls Court and there seemed more variety and stands. Never mind the freebies, if that is all you are there for then its a shame. There needs some more imagination to avoid the 'car boot' sale scenario. Perhaps health and safety is a boring subject frequented by sad gits? Ray
Admin  
#13 Posted : 22 May 2003 19:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt tut tut Raymond Rap - git along with you and wash your mouth out. Going by this thread it doesn't appear to have been much better or worse than the conference exhibition in Glasgow - and I paid a lot more for that! Geoff
Admin  
#14 Posted : 22 May 2003 19:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton I gotta say, though, I've got it sussed on you lot. I've never been but my husband goes to the ACPO exhibition which shares the venue. Consequently he wanders around EXPO and picks up information from every stand and every freebie going which I can then peruse in the comfort of my office without that dreadful trip up there and the aching feet - that's what you call "doing it in style"!
Admin  
#15 Posted : 22 May 2003 21:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I went today, last day of the Expo (always best for freebies...) and arrived at the NEC at about 09.30 by car (Note: M25, M1 and M6 OK...)and it was Busy (with a capital 'B') Buses to the NEC were good and literally every minute or so, so no hanging about. I think this method of getting people to the Expo (like an airport really) is very good. The Expo (I thought) was good. High quality stands and displays (all where they were supposed to be!!) and a lot of people in relation to the very large size of the exhibition hall (jostle, jostle). I was acosted and spoken to by many reps and engaged a few myself (there's daring for you - but if you want the freebies you have to do these things!!), and should have done a manual handling assessment for the bags of brochures (and freebies) I came away with... The last time I went to the Expo was at Harrogate (2 years ago...?) and it was packed, but the hall in Harrogate was tiny when compared with the NEC hall today, and I thought it was very reasonably attended (by all those that know the last day is the best for freebies no doubt!!). I spent 2.5 hours in the hall and with the exception of a luke warm coffee and a fag, was wholly engrossed for the full time. Keep up the good work.....
Admin  
#16 Posted : 23 May 2003 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt I didn't go but had feedback from colleagues that there were a lot of stands offering unwrapped sweets / jelly beans / mints etc to try to tempt punters. Reminds me of the tandoori mix that our local Indian restaurant offers, that Uncle Tom Cobbly and all put their unwashed hands into. Sorry to bring this up before lunch, but for those attendees - hands up those who put on their disposable gloves before plunging their hands into that bowl of Mint Imperials..... Hmmmm..... thought so !!! Have a happy weekend !! Eric
Admin  
#17 Posted : 23 May 2003 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Lets be honest here, the only reason most people go to these is its a day out the office under the guise of H&S to fool your boss etc. Never been myself, even at the annual conference its better in the pub with the people off the stands!
Admin  
#18 Posted : 23 May 2003 14:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson Let's be realistic, the Expo is not a great new launch forum, but just another tatty sales venue. All the exhibitors want is your details so that they can call / email / bug you into submission and close an order. No wonder they all looked so down and miserable - the place was almost empty, probably due to Corporate jolly trip cut backs. Be honest - if you wanted info about a product you could just as easily do your research and drag some reps in when it's convenient to you, rather than incurring the cost and time to visit the NEC.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 27 May 2003 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terri Cox I quite agree it is not what it was years ago. I went, and was disappointed by the number of stands, and the lack of variety of services/equipment. Those, where one was interested and required information then it was hard to find the people manning the stand, as they were often on neighbouring stands nattering. However, I did find some of the free presentation seminars quite ineteresting and of value. (The massage chairs were ace as well - very relaxing, only hitch is trying to convince our CE that they will benefit productivity)
Admin  
#20 Posted : 27 May 2003 21:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Terri. I take it you were the guy - full stretch in the vibrating chair - whose snooze we interrupted? Incidentally, I saw no unwrapped sweeties, wrapped - yes, and the those new minty thin things you put on your tonge - in a little plastic container, but none unwrapped...honest!!
Admin  
#21 Posted : 28 May 2003 08:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terri Cox Stuart No, not your guy!! Just to eductate you slightly, Terri with an I indicates the female variety.......are you following this....If it were to be spelt with a Y, maybe you would have got it right!! Not all H&S bods are male you know...
Admin  
#22 Posted : 28 May 2003 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Quite right Terri, and I bet all the people on the stands were not men either!