Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2003 19:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicki Currently looking at an accident caused by the "failure" of vehicle tow bar. Trailer became detached and caused two vehicle accident. Actual failure of the tow bar is under investigation but what Regs would tow bars come under i.e. Road Traffic Act (MoT), PUWER or LOLER? Can find no specific test/inspection requirement for them. Regards Nicki
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2003 20:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Nicky Try the Construction and Use Regulations
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 May 2003 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Carreira As i understand it, there are places in mainland Europe that require the SWL to be stamped on the towbar. This is one of the test parameters for a motor car MOT in Portugal. I am not aware of a similar requirement in the UK but i would suggest that you contact DVLA for a UK position. Joe
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2003 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray Tow Hitches come under Regulation 86B Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. Any mechanical coupling device which is attached to a light passenger vehicle subject to type approval which is first used on or after 1st August 1998 must comply with Community Directive 94/20. This applies to the hitch on the vehicle not to a device which is part of the trailer. The hitch will bear an E-mark. The police investigation will be looking at the ball hitch in particular, it will also be looking to see whether the secondary device was in use (chain or wire to trailer brake), also was the trailer fitted with a braking system (did this fail), or did the weight of the trailer require it to be braked. You would be wise to inspect any other vehicles you have, but also look at the trailer secondary cables/chains for signs of wear. This should also be checked daily by the users.