Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 May 2003 22:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By andy cragg can some body tell my if you can buy a divice for putting them on as staff say they are getting r/s/i cheers andy
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 May 2003 09:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Have you asked Unison? Ash
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 June 2003 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Elizabeth Hallows They're called "anti-embolism stockings", and are usually used for patients receiving care from district nurses (in the community). They're difficult to fit, partly because they've got to be close fitting to reduce the risk of clots forming. I haven't come across any device that makes it an easier task, but suggest you approach the nurses involved. Nurses who'll have particular experinece of fitting them are those working on vascular wards in hospitals. Elizabeth
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2003 14:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By wendy mcgarrity Andy, As an ex-nurse, I struggled with these stockings for years. I was given a solution only 3 months ago while nursing my Mum following heart surgery.Eureka! Hope it helps. Cut a reasonably strong poly bag across the middle so that there is enough left to place over the person's foot and up over the ankle. The bottom seam of the bag, will run under the person's foot. The stocking wearer, or someone else can then hold the bag in place around the lower leg. Then,slip the stocking over the bag, and therefore the foot, and it will (should) glide up the leg.By getting a hold of the seam of the poly bag, it can now be retrieved through the hole in the bottom of the stocking. It ain't rocket science and it tickles, but it works! All the best, Wendy.