Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 May 2003 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wynn Have you seen the cover of Junes edition showing the head of Bovis Construction. He is supposedly inspecting an erectors equipment (ohh matron) Did you notice how new and shiny his hi-vis coat and shiny new helmet, never been worn before especially on a on site. Not a good example eh! Perhaps he would have done better to have borrowed one which was a little battered to imply he might occasionally do site visits etc.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 May 2003 17:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adam Courlander Wonder if he is wearing safety footwear. If so bet they are nice and shiny too!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 May 2003 17:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Dave, Whilst sympathising with your sentiments, I think the reality is that Bovis Lendlease issued some new Hi-vis specifically for the photo opportunity. Hence how their project safety manager also looks on p36 of THSP. I have never managed to convince our Directors at eg ceremonies to open motorways etc that they would look more the part in their old kit. Branch new Hi-vis suddenly paid for by marketing budget! My own practice is to deliberately scuff up every new helmet and Hi-vis garment that I get, to avoid those out there treating me as if I have never seen a construction site! What actually concerned me more about the picture on the front with its caption "Gearing up for work at height changes" is the implication that PPE should not be considered as the last line of defence. This is turn then exacerbated by some perhaps poorly researched journalism eg "A clever design feature is pre-drilled holes in the steel structure for man locks". The HSE guidance on such a design feature dates back to 1987! Hardly state of the art. Several years ago I resisted an HSE Inspector trying to get our steelwork designers to add extra holes for man locks, as for most structures there should be no reason for erectors to work from open steelwork. In such circumstances, designing in additional fixing points merely sends the wrong psychological message to the erectors. The article does not indicate why erection could not be wholly done from eg cherry pickers, ie tends to concentrate on the lowest line of defence rather than following the hierarchy required by Reg 6 of CHSW Regs. If IOSH's own organ places its emphasis on the use of PPE to prevent falls from heights, what message does this send to the big bad world out there? Peter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 May 2003 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I can’t help but tell you of an incident that happen yesterday. A chap was working on a low roof two & half metres high, wearing a harness that was fitted to a two metre (plus shock length) lanyard. I could not convince him anything was wrong even when fitting up the rig (less the man) and showing him the harness was just clear of the floor (the shock length was still intact). I dislike all forms of PPE, as Peter says, it is to control residual risk and as thus an admission of failure to provide adequate control by other means. Returning to the June SHP, on page 2 there is an article about designers & CDM, the sentence that jumped out at me was: “Rigby also pointed out that many designers viewed the safety harness as “the panacea for protection against all work at height risks”, ignoring other methods of reducing risk such as edge protection, nets, and airbags” To my mind it is not just the designers who are guilty. Nor is the unacceptable reliance on PPE restricted to the building industry.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 June 2003 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Jim HSE's report on their designer initiative comments that it may not be wholly valid from a statistical point of view, but in reality it does not stand up to any statistical scrutiny whatsoever (but has been quoted verbatim in both Construction and H&S press as if it were the result of properly planned research) Amongst other "conclusions" was that only 8% of interviewees "admitted" to having any CDM training. However, in the absence of any analysis by project size etc, practice profile, let alone the role of the interviewee (who might be eg Project Director with no [or limited] CDM training, but overseeing a team of suitably trained staff)this conclusion [and thence, others] is potentially seriously flawed!!) HSE also seem to have fallen into the common historic trap of thinking that CDM training means giving designers the tools to do effective risk assessment. Their own research and that of others have found a problem in this!! May be 8% of front line design staff in SMALL practices have had CDM training. The proportion of our staff who have had this and risk assessment training is several times higher which I would expect to also be the case for other MAJOR design practices. Of course our training emphasises that PPE is the last line of defence. We are treating HSE's report with a very large pinch of salt! One of the problems is that very few front line HSE Inspectors will have the skills necessary to effectively investigate compliance by a designer without the benefit of hindsight, ie easy to criticise AFTER the accident Hence the emphasis on easy issues like fragile rooflights. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2003 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor As the HSE campaign on design has come up in this thread, I would like to express welcome for their comments with regard to the design of buildings. For years I have been trying to convince designers and their clients that they should be designing for safe access for maintenance and cleaning rather than for add-on fall-arrest or restraint systems as a type of after-thought. However, immediate financial considerations have often prevailed at the expense of edge-protection, walkways, installed ladders and the like and planners/building control departments have been of little help (and sometimes even resisted safety measures for planning considerations). Improvements to the Approved Documents, education of planners and enforcement of CDM design duties would be welcome additions to the campaign.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 June 2003 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Ken Have to agree with you about the Plannning Depts of some LAs. We had a cradle on a retractable boom rejected because it could be seen from the football ground. It was to be fitted onto the central core roof of a 19 storey block in a city centre as part of a refurbishment. The Planners wanted an externally mounted track around the outside of the building as more aesthetically pleasing. The fact that we would need to form a doorway thru the parapet wall and could not access all parts, because of radio telephone equipment, to support the wall was not relevant. We ended up with abseling as the only available option. There is now a BS on the abseiling technique but it needs regularly shaped buildings and flat roofs to be effective. I have actually found the abseil operatives to be far more aware of their safety than cradle operatives. Bob
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 June 2003 21:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran Delaney Well, at least you were able to post your queryt on 29 May 03. We in Ireland didn't receive our SHP magazine until the 11 june 03. But i do take your point about the cleanliness of the gentlemans jacket.The picture did not show the person being checked wearing a harness!