Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2003 03:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Smith Hi Everyone, I've dropped in here looking for information, advice and contact with skilled safety people with particular regard to road safety in the UK. I operate the SafeSpeed web site which campaigns against modern dumb road safety policy in the UK based largely on speed enforcement. http://www.safespeed.org.uk The UK roads are just about the safest in the world, but since 1993 we've been losing our lead. The fatal accident rate shows a very worrying trend indeed. I believe we have the best record because of a long established safety culture, based largely on the skills and attitudes developed at the world's only centre of driving excellence - the Police Driver Training establishment at Hendon. Hendon attitudes pervaded the culture via legislation, recommendations to drivers and the driving test itself. With modern dumb speed enforcement we're turning our backs on these sound principles and the roads are getting more dangerous as a direct consequence. I'm interested in developing the case for a new wave of culture based safety improvements based as ever on spotting dangerous behavious and correcting them at an early stage. We'd move away for excessive speed enforcement and instead concentrate on getting drivers to learn from their minor mistakes. Would anyone with experience of these sorts of approach (probably in an industrial context) like to assist? Best Regards, Paul Smith Safe Speed
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2003 22:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Do you speak to RoSPA, the Institute of Road Safety Officers, etc and what has been their response? Whilst behaviour and road environment contribute to road incident causes, speed is known to reduce time for evasion action and impact speed affects injury severity - so it would appear prudent to address all rather than some factors.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2003 00:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Smith Thanks for your response. It wasn't really what I was looking for, but prompts me to provide a little more detail. I'd really like to combine my existing knowledge with the best in health and safety practice to develop a broad proposal which would then be widely submitted as a discussion document. However, various road safety organisations including RoSPA are aware of the views and a liason officer has been appointed. Thanks for your reply. Best Reagrds, Paul Smith, Safe Speed http://www.safespeed.org.uk
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2003 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Our organisation is currently establishing a work-related road-safety working group to look at all the issues which we have to consider for our employees who drive such as: Driver assessment and training Risk assessment Journey planning Cars/motor bikes/cycles (used while at work) Emergencies Use of mobile phones We link closely with the Transport Research Laboratory and have received excellent help from them. I also like the Brake organisation - they produce some very good research which can be obtained from their website Hope this helps Eric