Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 June 2003 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Whent
Does anyone know if the American Safety Helmet Standard ANSI Z89.1_1986 is transferable to a BSEN?

We have some staff on one of the projects who wish to import some American helmets to wear on site. I think that the standards are comparable but cannot agree to them importing the helmets until I know that they are legal.

How does the fit for purpose arguement sit?

If you want to know why they want imported helmets rather than the standard safety helmet check out this website..

www.hardhats.4ursafety.com

Can you imagine that lot on site?

Rob
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2003 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Robert

Sorry I don't know the answer to your query but the link to the website has made me truly happy!

How many times have you been on site and had trouble spotting the cowboy builders? Here's the answer.

http://www.hardhats.4urs...com/cowboy-hard-hat.html

Only in septic tank land!!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2003 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
I want one of them!

I've always fancied one of those full brim aluminium John Wayne/Red Adair ones. Presume you can only get the plastic jobs these days.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2003 17:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Robert,

Unfortunately, whether or not the two standards are equivalent, or even if the american helmets excede BS, they must be CE certified. I am not entirely sure, but I think it is still a self-certifying process - the manufacturer certifies that his protective equipment meets the required standard and affixes the CE mark to each article.

Regards

Merv Newman
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 June 2003 07:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
I read all the links and everyone was wow-ing about these hard hats so I had a look - marvellous - they look like 'growed up' versions of lego-men hats that my son plays with! Certainly CE marking is a necessity but cannot help with the actual compliance factor - I think this is dodgy ground especially if there is an accident and you have to prove that it was BS EN approved. Can you contact OSHA or NIOSH, they might have some information on it?

Hilary
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 June 2003 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
I know we safety people at times revert to legislation etc.

Can anyone tell me where it says that all equipment used in the UK as to be 'legally and statutorily (is that a word?)' BSEN certified so to speak?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 10 June 2003 12:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
It's in the Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 2002 that all PPE shall be made to what they term "Harmonised Standards" so this will be the BS EN Standards or EN Standard, or where these are not available to existing standards which are BS.

Safety Helmets are EN 397.

Hilary
Admin  
#8 Posted : 10 June 2003 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
Robert,

How goes it?

I have an old (ie 12yrs) example (past its sell by date) of one of the helmets on the site, ie an Advent, which is designed to protect against lateral impact (noting that an ancient HSE research report commented that 2/3 of head injuries in construction do not involve things striking the crown area)

Instead of protection via the air gap between shell and harness, the Advent has a layer of plastic foam in this gap which obviously means that it can absorb much more energy.

The downside is an increase in weight - in some of the deliberations about proposed EN standard, some European competitors were pushing for an upper weight limit to keep the Americans out. Not sure where this discussion led.

The Advent is also rather more expensive than bog standard BS hat (which incidentally I do not think complies with the Con HP Regs 1989), but in my experience is more comfortable (despite the extra weight - ratchet adjustment etc), and has a longer recommended life (5-10 yrs).

Regards, Peter
Admin  
#9 Posted : 10 June 2003 23:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Macpherson
Great place for some VERY interesting equipment, I showed some of the operators here at our power station and they got quite excited at the propect of wearing a cowboy hat-got to be some kind of childhood trauma thing going on there- but even the helmets with the fancy graphics took the fancy of some. I checked with OSH at the local office and he explained that as they were manufactured to the ANSI standard they would be acceptable under the standards we have here in New Zealand! Now all that remains if for someone to give me some money out of some budget or slush fund to buy fifty of them........
Admin  
#10 Posted : 13 June 2003 14:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Sneddon
Rob,

For information the Occupational Safety & Health Council here in Hong Kong lists out recognised safety standards for Industrial Safety Helmets such as ANSI Z 89.1, BSEN 397, DIN 4840 and so forth. Perhaps the HSE do something similar.

Peter,

Peter you mentioned something about an ancient HSE research report related to head injuries, where can I get hold of it? can I access it via the internet?

If anyone else can point me in the right direction for research papers related to Industrial Safety Helmets that would be great.

James
Admin  
#11 Posted : 18 June 2003 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
I've come into this one a bit late as I was away last week on a course and only now catching up on the reading!

With reference to compatibility of Standards, if you are a member of BSI then use their technical services department to answer the question originally posed - if they don't know the answer they will call you back. They provide advice on both importing and exporting - previously it was only the latter but they must have realised that trade isn't just one way! Web link is:
http://www.bsi-global.co...port+Advice/index.xalter

Not sure if non-members can access this service. Best thing to do is contact them and find out.

I would be interested in finding out if there is a means to compare foreign non-EU Standards to current EN harmonised Standards referred to by Hilary. Does anyone know of a web-based link? Although the CEN website gives you access to the online catalogue (http://www.cenorm.be/catweb/cwsen.htm) it doesn't necessarily compare them to other "common" Standards bodies.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 24 June 2003 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
Like Sean I was on a course last week, and now catching up.

James - gave you dodgy information. The research was actually in the US but is referred to in HSE Contract Research Report No 13/1989 [told you it was ancient!!!]

"Improved Side, Front and Back Impact Protection for Industrial Helmets".

Anyone who subscribes to OHSIS will find it on there.

Regards, Peter