Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 June 2003 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Richardson We recently held an "it's a knockout" competition at a venue away from the work site during a weekend. During the course of the competition one of the competitors had an accident when he was thrown into a swimming pool. He id now complaining of a bad back. My question is, should this go into the accident book and how would the company stand in cases of a potential employment disability claim. The venue was held at a fully licenced sports centre. Should I have done a risk assessment beforehand or would that be going overboard slightly (no pun intended)or maybe an assessment or a method statement should have been received from the sports centre. I suppose the simple solution is not to hold a sports day. Any advice for future reference would be appreciated. Regards Dave
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2003 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tyler Perhaps a 'disclaimer' document should have been in place.A document warning of the risks fo injury and suggesting that all who take part do so aware of the risks of personal injury and 'at their own risk'.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2003 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Was this person 'at work?' and working inside the scope of their employment? if no then no action required. Is a person who breaks his leg playing footie for the works team on a Sat Afternoon at work? Suggest not. Who was in control of the 'premises', did you get a brief from the leisure centre etc on what is and is not allowed. I know this is about the accident book but how far do yoy take this scenario? Any suggestions from the ambulance chasing world appreciated.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2003 15:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adam Courlander There is nothing to loose by putting this in the accident book. What you may have to consider is if the employee has been of work for more than 3 days as to whether it is reportable. In that case was the employee at the event for the benefit of the company? Insurance details should have been discussed with the sports centre with regard to public and employer liability.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 June 2003 18:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If in doubt, I'd put it in the book too - on the basis that it's better to record/report something you needn't than not record/report something you should. If the event was organised by the employer as an employer following the Event Safety Guide (HSG195) risk assessments would have been done and various plans produced.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 June 2003 17:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By A Fergusson I would suggest that our acts and ommisions while on an organised/works function are "work" related. If you view the fall out from Christmas parties and the relutance to now hold these as company events shows that there is a liability.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 16 June 2003 21:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Question to the group. If someone from the enforcement agency turned up and saw something they considered as an imminent risk of serious injury, would they issue a Prohibition Notice on the Sports Centre or the company holding the event?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 July 2003 09:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Probably both.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 01 July 2003 10:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger Smith One site in an organisation I worked for organised a treasure hunt. It turned into a pub crawl and on returning to the workplace in order to tot up the scores and tidy up, one unfortunate individual broke his arm while doing the twist on some grass under a tree on company grounds. It went into the accident book and was investigated to ensure that there was no "foul play". I also took the precaution of contacting my friendly HSE Enforcement Officer who advised me that it was not reportable. So my advice... Record every accident connected to work, no matter how or where caused. If only to prove that it wasn't your fault. Report every incident to the HSE / EHO that you are unsure of. If they are not interested, they will tell you. Roj