Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 June 2003 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Bower Has anybody experienced a situation where they have not been able to meet their first aid obligations due to a lack of volunteers to undertake the role? If so how have you dealt with the problem or have you just lived with it? Thanks Stuart
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2003 09:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Stuart, Maybe your company has an attitude problem, by that I mean an attitude to First Aid provision, obviously the incentives are not attractive enough. If your Risk Assessment outcome indicates you need X First Aiders, then they MUST be in place including enough to cover absences. You can’t just shrug your shoulders and say we can’t get the staff. If your management could be persuaded that the provision of adequate qualified First Aid cover was as an important a business consideration as say, having qualified bean counters, then the incentives necessary to make people volunteer would soon appear. In my experience, they don’t need much; my biggest problem is choosing maybe two or three from a pool of twenty applicants and explaining my decision to those who don’t make it.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2003 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Agree with Jim here, the level of cover depends on the Hazards and Risks within the business and threfore the amount and type of cover provided. being Ex RM medic and FA instructor there is also nothing worse than having 'pressed men/women' as first aiders, as when the time comes when they are needed if they are not interested and therefore motivated enough then people lives are at risk. Also some people are extremely anxious and scared of doing such stuff and its not 'right' for everyone. Suggest you hit the boss with a baseball bat and wait to see how long help arrives to treat him? may influence his decision.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2003 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marcus Pereira Try asking mothers with children and keen sportsmen / women. They seem to see the out-of-work benefits far outweigh the chance of having to do any first aid in work! Good luck
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 June 2003 13:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis I have a similar problem in some areas, even though staff are given a monthly cash 'incentive' to perform first aid duties, I have some staff - in a stores for instance - refusing to co-operate. All I can do for now is to supply cover from a building not to far away and hope that will do , the HSE may have a diffenent view, but thats between them and the Manager to whome I requested sort the matter out!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 June 2003 18:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster Why not write it into the job description of the next post you advertise?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 June 2003 18:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt And if they are suitable for the job but unsuitable to be a first aider?