Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2003 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New Can anyone tell me if churches are exempt from requiring fire escape signs, and fire extinguishers etc inside the church itself.What about fire risk assessment? Thanks in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2003 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack There's a HELA which might help: http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/22-4.htm
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 June 2003 17:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Charles My understanding is that if the church is used for the sole purpose of worship then they are exempt. However, if they use any part of the church for any activity not involving worship, such as coffee mornings, creche, meetings etc etc then they have to comply. Hope this helps. Regards David B
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 June 2003 18:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor They are exempt from certification under the Fire Precautions Act, require licences if used for public entertainment other than acts of religious worship and are subject to the Health and Safety at Work, etc Act and Regulations made thereunder (including the need for fire risk assessment) if there is an employer and so work activity takes place. It should be noted that some free churches (eg 'house churches') may not employ anybody and only occupier's liability, Common Law, etc will apply.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 June 2003 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lightbody I generally agree with Ken's advice having been involved in advising a certain 'army' on the position with the Fire Regs. The difficulty is that HSE state that whilst certain situations may not be deemed a workplace i.e there is not an employer/employee relationship, there is usually an Undertaking by parties and as such the HASWA and Management Regs apply requiring the Fire Risk Assessment. By an undertaking I mean, the Church/Charitable Trust undertakes to provide quarters for the minister/priest/major etc free of charge and also a place of worship for them and their congregation. These are therfeore generally subject to the same rules as a workplace but not to the full extent. In addition, the reason that churches and their halls etc do not require Certification is that the wording of the Fire Precautions Act is rigid and not expanded upon. It states that if the main use of the premises is a place of worship they are exempt. Consequently, as long as a prayer is said during any event :mothers & toddlers, coffee mornings, band practice etc (outwith the scope of full worship) then this is classified as an act of worship and exempt.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 June 2003 20:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram Aberdeenshire Council have recently set up a website which gives practical advice for a range of typical premises where they (and other LA's) are the enforcer. The intent is to provide useful and practical advice, not necessarily a formal interpretation of the law. The site includes places of worship, and the advice covers basic fire precautions - see http://www.aberdeenshire...tml/5LGFJZ?OpenDocument.