Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2003 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tyler This is the scenario as I understand it: Lifting equipment is being used (within the the 6 month inspection period)and the eye of the cable snaps open resulting in the load being dropped and the cable whipping out voilently. Q 1, Is this RIDDOR reportable (dangerous occurence though nobody was injured)? Also, this leads me to believe they may have been using the equipment unsafely and may be exceeding the SWL. I also get the impression that this happens more frequently than one would desire as it is common practice to have some spare 'bulldog clips' to repair the cable eye in an event like this. Q 2, Does this repaired set up comply with LOLER (I think in order to do so it must be inspected, examined and tested to be certificated and have a SWL assigned to it) Any help / thoughts are appreciated, Tyler
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2003 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis If you are referring to a wire rope strop that is not part of the fixed apparatus of the equipment the answer is probably no - but I would take the view to make the report in any case. The scenario you describe suggests that overloading is a regular occurrence and this may be something to do with work practices or lack of knowledge of the loads being lifted. The use of bridles, ie the stretching of a wire rope from one fixed point to another and then attaching the hook to the rope or similar action, can easily cause an exceedance of the SWL. On the question of bulldog clamps I suggest a nice melting pot is the best place for them. They are easy to use wrongly, can be over or under torqued with drastic consequences and are often the wrong size. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2003 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Johnson Under Reg 3(1) Schedule 1 of RIDDOR the failure of any load bearing part of any lift, hoist, crane, derrick or mobile powered access platform is reportable. Does your equipment fall into any of these ? Was the failure part of the main eqipment or was it an auxilary item i.e. wire rope sling. I think your main problem is the failure of safe systems and training as you mention this has happened before and is potentially due to overloading the equipment. You must act now to prevent any future injury. Alan