Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2003 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Hatson
Hello All,

I am currently in the process of gathering information on Safety Committees & Safety Representatives for a thesis I have to write, entitled "The success & failure of Safety Committees & Representatives in the workplace".

Does anyone out there know of any books or articles that may be of particular use to me in this topic. I am searching for anything that may propose any theories as to achieve success.

Having been a Senior Union Safety Rep for the last 5 years or so, I have the SCSR regs, ACOP & guidance notes surgically attached to my hip. I would appreciate any help in identifying further references I could make.

Also if anyone has any stories, theories or examples as to the success or failings of their own committees & Reps I would be very interested to hear them. I am particularly interested in the management/rep ratio of the committee, levels of H&S training of both parties, and practical involvement of parties in H&S tasks. Please feel free to email me directly.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Kindest regards,

Simon.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2003 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Simon,

Have you tried a trawl through the Research section of the HSE website? Just a suggestion - unfortunately I've found the search gave a heap of tenuously related stuff but did pick out one or two that might be helpful, such as :

http://www.hse.gov.uk/re...sl_pdf/2001/employ-i.pdf

and

http://www.hse.gov.uk/re...rr_pdf/2001/crr01321.pdf

Might not be directly related but might be of interest (or reference in the bibliography!).
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2003 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede
You may like to look at corporate culture and how it impacts on the safety culture of the business and in turn the attitudes of safety representatives and the way safety committees function.

Are safety committees a forum at which safety is discussed or a place where union and management reps score points off each other?

Best of luck as these relationships are a fascinating subject.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2003 19:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sheralyn Pattison
Simon,

Having just read your e-mail. I did an assignment on the comparison of SRSC Regs and Consultation of Employees Regs 96.

I used local government as a study as both unionised and non-unionised exist together. It may be worth a comparrison, public verses private in your thesis. If i can be of any futher help, e-mail me direct.

Sheralyn