Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2003 19:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
What do people think of the new accident books? Anyone had a look yet? I'm deeply unimpressed myself. For small companies, fine, but what if you have several of these books around a company? All needing individual numbering of the book, the stub and the sheet. How is that going to be done right? I'd love to hear other people's views/ideas.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2003 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer.
Hi Neil,

Good old-fashioned filing systems would be appropriate; I will just have a suspension folder for each book with the tear out sheets and the book in the folder.If an accident happens then the only thing to come out of the folder would be the book. The numbering of the sheets and stubs will be a pain but you would be able to do this by department. Each quarter after analysing the accident info the tear outs will be forwarded to human recourses for placing into the individuals personal file.

The benefit of this is that is that due to data protection legislation on the increase you will be privy to the use of a brand new invention called a lockable filing cabinet which will take the place of computers in the workplace (only jocking) but there again wasn’t computers only invented to play games on.

Cheers
Keith
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2003 09:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
All very good if the entries are of full time employees - try it in construction where most of the people are peripatetic- That is why I have kept the recorded information confidential and located at a central secure file with electronic copies available only to restricted persons

Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2003 18:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
In the past I've tended to get customers to use tear-off pads anyway to replace accident books. But then there were no stubs, instead the forms were in triplicate, one copy to the line manager, one for the person concerned, and one filed centrally. For larger companies it has always worked brilliantly, but now I have to re-think.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2003 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Stokes
I work for an UK wide environmental oranisation with about 170 small offices operating teams of people on practical tasks. The old system was bad enough, the new one is not an improvement. Like Neil I had intended introducing sequentially numbered self replicating pads but was told I needed permission from the then DSS (now DWP) to replace the BI510. Try as I might over the last two years I cannot get a response to any of my letters, e-mails or telephone calls. Can I really just invent my own and use as long as it contains the same info? Any info welcome.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2003 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer.
Andy,

you can use whatever system you wish so long as it meets the equivalent to BI510 and is available to employees to make a report of a personal injury at work.

Cheers
Keith
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 June 2003 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Cathy Ricketts
We have used a duplicate pad system for nearly two years this works really well - the top copy of all reports come to me and the bottom copies remain in the areas (we cover two counties). This also enables workers who dont touch base very often to carry copies of the forms with them in their stationery packs. The forms also double up for incident and near miss reporting. When I have recorded the information from the forms, if they are employee related they are filed on the individual's personnel file and if they relate to a member of the public I retain them in my office filing cabinet.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 24 June 2003 09:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
I'm really glad I posted here. It's good to hear that others have used a similar system to me, and sound like they will continue to use their own systems.

Andy - when I was developing my version, I contacted DSS by telephone and they were very helpful. They got me to send the proposed system in the post and they sent back a detailed reply, approving it for use. Unfortunately I no longer have the files on this, though I still work for the company at which I did this. I'll try to dig out more detail when I'm there next.