Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2003 10:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using speedbumps on their site as a means of traffic speed control. I'm particularly interested in any effect that this has had on FLT's. The reason that I ask is that this has been suggested as a way of limiting the speed of the FLT's on our site along straight roads on site where they can build up speed. My concern is the lack of suspension on the trucks and the resulting back injuries that could occur and the possible effects on load stability should the driver have set the angle of the forks incorrectly.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2003 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Turner
I would have thought that speed limiters on the FLT would be a better option.

regards

Chris T
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2003 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen
Limiters where another option but it was suggested that speedbumps may be more appropriate as it would also have the effect of reducing the speed of all vehicles on site not just FLT's.

Obviously we have rules and procedures but the FLT drivers are largely unsupervised and often take it upon themselves to exceed the site limit.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2003 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Jason.

Speed humps are not considered generally a great idea with FLT's and as has already been mentioned, speed limiters are the best solution.

It is also worthy of note that reducing speed limits in yards needs careful consideration where car's and/or lorries are required to use them. I recently heard and insurance risk manager advising that reducing speed limits to 10 MPH or less was not as effective as stipulating 15 MPH, as most vehicles have trouble actually trying to keep to 10MPH !!

On reflection and having given this some considerable thought, I think he is right. Why impose limits that will be broken or an difficult to observe, when a simple change, although keeping speed very low, is achiveable.... food for thought...
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 June 2003 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian D
If like our's the problem was more with road vehicles than FLT's, we constructed speed bumps, but we left a gap in them. This enabled the FLT narrow wheel base to drive through the speed bump, but the gap was not sufficient to allow cars, vans, etc to pass through.
Also the FLT's naturally slowed down when approaching these to align the wheels.

Hope this helps
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 June 2003 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt
Why not get speed limit signs printed which stipulate a 13mph speed limit. They are used at Connahs Quay Power Station (along with 19mph speed limits in other parts of the premises) and they certainly catch the eye and remind drivers that there is a speed limit in operation.

I wouldn't advocate the use of speed ramps for FLTs.

I must also advise you that in terms of sex discrimination speed bumps are now to be known as "Sleeping Police Officers" instead of "Sleeping Policemen".

Regards,

Eric
Admin  
#7 Posted : 19 June 2003 20:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Zzzzzzz
Admin  
#8 Posted : 19 June 2003 21:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
Jason
I would assess this with the FLT drivers and other mobile plant drivers eg "cherry Pickers" first.
Consider, even when the FLT drivers goes over these bumps slowly any load that is even close to the max SWL will bounce and introduce shock loading into the forks well passed the SWL of the forks.

I agree with the others, govern the speed of the trucks, it is very easy to do this with modern trucks. You may also notice less damage around the plant as well.
Steve
Admin  
#9 Posted : 20 June 2003 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
I know that our FLTs would just ground on any kind of a bump and with the introduction of speed bumps we would be spending all our time lifting them off! I agree that speed limiters is a better idea with a forklift truck.

Admin  
#10 Posted : 23 June 2003 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Macpherson
Watch them slow down once the first disciplinary procedure hits the next one caught speeding! This would get their attention and send a positive message about adjusting their attitudes, it is not only their own safety they jeopardise by irresponsible action.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 23 June 2003 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Nice one Roy!

Same thoughts as me, this isn't a FLT access and egress or movement problem, this is a staff problem where the FLT and apparently all drivers are deliberately flouting local rules and procedures at the expense of safety!!!

why? is the question

peer pressure, commercial pressure, time pressure, bonus pressure?? ask this as this is a people management issue and needs addressing, dont put a plaster on a broken leg!

Admin  
#12 Posted : 23 June 2003 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen
The problem is in order for discipline to be effective it needs to be consistent. The area that the drivers work in is hardly supervised and so its not guarenteed that they will be seem by a manager. And unfortunately managers have differing attitudes to the problem. Some turn a blind eye as it helps get the job done quicker whilst others will adhere to the site policy. I know that ideally we should get all the managers to work to the same standard but as Im sure you'll appreciate this isn't always realistic. Thats why I favoured some way (such as speed limiters) to remove the managers from the equation.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 23 June 2003 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Understand that Jason, but all you are really doing is getting them off the hook, so what happens next time when something more serious needs fixing and needs strong leadership and management ?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 23 June 2003 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley
Totally agree with Dave,

Whatever you do to curb speeds by putting obstacles in their way will soon become redundant as other problems arise eg bent forks, dropped loads, damaged goods etc.

What you need is strong management and enforcement of your site rules. Discipline offenders, pull site permits to drive and ensure FLT damage reports are being raised and acted upon. Even speed limiters can produce problems for you in some circumstances.
I have tried all sorts with FLT offenders, the only real success being enforcement.

Good luck
Bob
Admin  
#15 Posted : 24 June 2003 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Holliday
I would normally avoid quoting from legislation, but paragraph 164 of the Workplace Regs ACOP (L24) deals specifically with this subject. It states with regards speed retarders such as raod humps "Arrangements should be made where necessary to avoid fork lift trucks having to pass over road humps unless the truck is of a type which can negotiate them safely."

I think this clarifies any confusion & speculation.

Steve
Admin  
#16 Posted : 25 June 2003 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anthony Cassidy
If feasible, narrowing the traffic route for FLT's by using bollards requires them to slow down. This is commonly used on public highways.