Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2003 13:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Whent
Why is it that;

safety is number one priority but there are more people on reception than there are safety advisors....

Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2003 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Billy Cassidy
You are so right!

In my organisation we have rota systems galore for reception cover and panic runs through the department if there is a chance that reception wont be adequately covered, but if the Health and Safety Co-ordinator is off - who cares!

Also trying to find volunteers for Health and Safety Representative positions is just impossible, nobody wants to know.

It's about time a lot of organisations took Health and Safety issues a lot more seriously than they do and this has to be done NOW!!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2003 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Perhaps it's something to do with customers and making a profit - unless their core business is safety consultancy - then they do have a problem!

Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2003 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
We don't have a receptionist but we do have a Health and Safety Advisor!!!!!!

Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 June 2003 15:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
Hilary,

Watch out, they may have eyes on you working on reception during quiet times. After all what can a health & safety manager do all day...
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 June 2003 16:56:00(UTC)
Admin

I already thought of that so I only work 5 hours a day!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2003 20:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Sorry,

But safety should never be any ones priority; priorities come and priorities go!

It should be a part and parcel of the way you do the job.

Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 June 2003 16:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Trevor Pierce
Hilary
What do you do in the other 7 hours, that us lesser mortals work.(Yes, I vaguely remember about little known Regs, something about Working Time or other). Please note this is written on a Sunday!
PS Can I have a job like yours!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 22 June 2003 17:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Trevor,

This too is written on a Sunday - I spend the rest of my copious free time looking after my two children aged 10 and 8 which includes running them to and from after school clubs, children's university, swimming lessons, doctors, dentist, optician and hospital appointments, birthday parties, having friends round for tea and all the other things associated with having children of this age. Oh and while I'm at it, I'm also a parent Governor at the Infants School and work as Health and Safety Advisor for that institution voluntarily of course and take part in activities there. I also have a husband who works shifts and is a forensic scientist and I look after my husband, children, home and pets.

Are you sure you want a job just like mine?

Hilary

Admin  
#10 Posted : 23 June 2003 07:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve
Hilary,

Who looks after H&S in your company when you are not at work ?

Who covers for you in a call out situation, fire, serious accident etc

Regards

Steve
Admin  
#11 Posted : 23 June 2003 07:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Well, if you want to know about working hours - shall we have a competition?
Admin  
#12 Posted : 23 June 2003 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Steve

We work a 24 hour shift so there would, obviously, be times when I wasn't there anyway. My emergency plan has two deputies for every occasion. The two who deputise for me are Line Managers, one has been on the H&S committee with me since it was set up back in 1992 and the other joined shortly afterwards. They have both been Works Manager at one time or another. Thesee people have been fully trained in what to do in an emergency and the emergency plan also lays out step by step details in the event of fire, accident, chemical spill and so on. I merely advise and put the control measures in place, after this I have competent people who can follow through on them.

Hilary
Admin  
#13 Posted : 23 June 2003 08:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft
Hilary, you seem to be slacking a bit, can't you get an early morning paper-round?