Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 June 2003 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan
I have been asked to look into the feasibility of issuing our security men a kevlar jacket. I work for a large merged NHS Trust.
Has anybody else looked at this and what are the pros and cons.
Personally I don't think the nature and type of incidents we have warrant it.
Any thoughts?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 June 2003 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray
Lance

Give me a ring on 01242 276411 and I will try and assist you.

Martin
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2003 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
No offence, just thought that someone called 'Lance' working in the medical sector looking for 'stab' proof vests was amusing.

just picture a chap faced with a large Boil in body armour. Its OK I'm Lance, going to lance and don't lance me if it 'urts

Try your local Police Authority mate.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2003 08:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan
Thanks for your input Dave.
I have'nt heard any of those jokes before?
doh!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 June 2003 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Sorry mate, just had one of those moments, so to speak!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 24 June 2003 14:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve williamson
Hi Lance,

Don't do it. Look at your data for aggression and violence and I think you'll find it's far more widespread, if less frequent than yer average casualty viewer would imagine. Once started where do you stop with the range of people wanting protection and the type of gear being demanded. Some of the starship troopers in A & E's are setting themselves up as targets for the local yobbery with helmets, shinguards and nightsticks. We put our security staff in soft dress, trained them very well in de-escalation and C & R and followed up our analysis with some commonsense controls on providing services then invested in a good co-ordinated attack alarm system. We know that stab vests don't stop crossbow bolts.

Hope this is helpful,

Stevew
Admin  
#7 Posted : 24 June 2003 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angela Oakey-Jones
Lance,

Its a shame our peers think so little of your query. I may also be able to help out, given that there are 1800 investigative officers under my area of command.

Do let me know if I can be of assistance

Angela Oakey-Jones
HM Customs & Excise
angela.oakey-jones@hmce.gsi.gov.uk
Admin  
#8 Posted : 24 June 2003 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Angela,

Any safety issue is taken seriously and advice offered if you have the expertise to advise.

You obviously have, however what you seem to have missed is that you are deliberatly putting your officers in the firing line as part of their job - dealing with and arresting suspected, sometimes violent criminals, so you go kitted out sometimes with firearms and have in extreme cases the authority to use them. Medical and support staff do not do this.

So how do you protect them?

Is it necessary?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 25 June 2003 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan
Ok Guys
Thanks for your help particularly Martin nice talking to you