Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 June 2003 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott
I recently came across a True/False question in relation to PPE as follows; 'If I fail to wear safety glasses in a designated eye protection area, I have committed a criminal offence and may be fined up to £20,000'
The answer they gave was 'True - The Regulations on personal protection are a statutory provision with criminal sanctions. In fact, the £20,000 limit is for a Magistrates Court and a higher fine could be imposed if the case went to a Crown Court. This would be most unusual!'

Is this really the case? I am not so sure about this fact.

Comment please!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2003 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
Surely the individual has committed an offence under s7 of HSAWA, and the max is £5k

????
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2003 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
The maximum fine is currently £5,000 though it is proposed to raise this to £20,000. The latter is the limit for breaches of the Act general duties Sections.

Personally I find these 'threat' type quizzes quite depressing. We need more carrots to change behaviour!

Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2003 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott
Thanks folks, I tend to agree with the comments made and that I thought that the max would be £5K for a breach of S7(b)!

As for the threat type quiz, it was just the one question in a series of 'So you think you know about the law and health and safety'. I guess it could be depressing Allan, but it does get the message across when the penultimate penalties are highlighted as most people are money orientated in this world!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2003 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Sure. I didn't say it didn't work, just that I get depressed that we have to lean on the threat button so heavily!

Anyway, whoever set the question doesn't know about H&S at work! There are big traps in question setting, as I'm discovering when putting together an eLearning package for a course. It's quite hard to find questions that produce an unqualified 'yes' or 'no' answer, and that don't provoke an argument.

Allan