Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2003 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rory Reed Can anyone help with a query? its regarding risk assessment process or information regarding exposure to the sun. I have not come across this before; and would usually respond by advisng on common sense and it depends on how long in the sun and your skin type. However, things have moved on and I need some info. anyhelp appreciated
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2003 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Rory A good place to start is the two free leaflets from the HSE. Go to the index page of the 'radiation' risks, www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/radindex.htm and you will see that they have two publications Keep your top on, and Sun protection: advice for employers of outdoor workers. Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2003 13:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bennett The Australians have some very good material on this subject, they take health and safety in the outdoors very seriously.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2003 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graeme Main Hi Rory, Jane is correct about the web address look for INDG 337(sun protection) & INDG 147(keep your top on). I have been looking for help myself on the same subject.I have been asked about supplying sun creams,lotions or oils to staff members that work outside. Dose this come under PPE? If so how can we be sure that one type will cover all staff members,and what about those that have a low tolerance to lanolin. I can not find any legal requirement to supply sun protection of this type.Any infomation that could be given would be most helpful. thanks Graeme.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 June 2003 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bennett I have found the site again www.sunsmart.com.Au
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 June 2003 16:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Rory - you might also try the National Radiological Protection Board at www.nrpb.org - they offer advice and a ten point Sunsense Guide.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 June 2003 19:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey I think this type of thread comes around every year and was one that I posted a question on a few years back. The problem is you can spend half your life researching this and the "likelihood" and read all the advice that say's stay inside during the high sun periods, but you have to move forward and people have to work. I started with a Risk Assessment, gave staff the good advice and issued bulk (once a day waterproof SPF 15) sun cream to our Section Offices. General advice covered, types of clothes, hats, staying in the shade, staying hydrated reporting concerns. A bit of research showed that may other Local Authority employers had gone down the same route and the cost is really minimal.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 July 2003 12:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rory Reed THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED..