Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2003 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vicky Pye I work for a training company who often take our learners on outdoor activities e.t.c On Friday I have a group of 5 learners going to the Lake District for the day with 2 supervisors. The problem is that the learners are all female (over the age of 18) and the two supervisors are male. Do we have a legal requirement to take a female supervisor as well ??? Thanks for your help
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2003 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott I guess it would depend on the circumstances for instance are the 'learners' disabled, vulnerable, under the age of consent, young persons by definition of the Management Regs etc. If 'normal', and I mean no offence here, and above the age of 18 then surely it up to them! That said, I guess one should always try and provide the right mix of 'learners' to staff.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2003 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton My own personal view is that these are people all over 18 which makes them legally adults. As long as there are no trainees with low mental ages or learning difficulties and as it is only for the day and not overnight then I think you will be OK.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2003 09:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Vicky, Would you be asking a similar question if the learners were all male and the supervisors were female? I think perhaps you would not. What a crazy world we now live in. Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 July 2003 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vicky Pye then I would be concerned about the safety of the two female supervisors !!! agreed its crazy but you can't be too careful !
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 July 2003 19:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Vicky, In your subject, please, please give some indication of what you need help on - what is the problem/subject/question. "Help!!!Advice needed" is attractive, but if it is not our subject then it can be a time waster. Ceçi dit, how can i sign up as an instructor on your courses ? Merv Newman
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 July 2003 08:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton To counteract Merv's view, if the Instructors and young and drop dead gorgeous can I become a trainee - I promise I am very slightly over 18! Hilary
Admin  
#8 Posted : 02 July 2003 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Vicky If it were me, I would be inclined to think about, professional indemnity insurance issues, workers compensation and any special need requirements such as medical, e.g. diabetics, epileptics and the like. Secondly, I would be inclined to, with the manager, sit down and do a table top ‘HAZID and Control (hazard identification risk assessment and control) process. Thirdly look at the emergency procedure plan to see what steps need to be taken in the event of a worse case scenario and the emergency procedures that would need to be enacted. Would they be suitable in this case? Establish the trainer’s competency in an outdoor situation where you have young people near water, consider if they have the training and back up systems to cope with an emergency. Does anyone have first aid training and or Bronze Medallion in life saving? Consider with the manager the risk to your employer? Assess the location of the training event, are there fire risks, in an open country area, and grass fires. Not exhaustive, but it’s a start if your question is to be treated seriously.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 02 July 2003 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vicky Pye Merv Apologies for subject heading but it did get your attention !!!! Send me your CV and I can have you Rock Climbing in a week !