Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2003 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Rogers Please can anyone provide me with information on who in the UK supply's such a thing as Dog distractant spray that individuals can carry on them. I have a problem with collection agents in the field being bothered by both individual and packs of stray dogs. Any advice would be a great help Thanks Karen
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2003 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Karen, a word of caution - however well meaning trying to distract a stray dog(s) may be - this may be construed as cruelty by members of the public. Have you tried talking to your local authority EHO and/or dog warden, the Police Dog Section may also be able to offer some advice. Good luck
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 July 2003 12:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Karen, Bill has a very good point, if you start spraying animals with potentially 'noxious'substances there can be considerable repercussion. In my days with an LA, I carried a 'Dog Dazer' with me. Similar to your people, I roamed around numerous city areas where canine interventions were definitely expected. This piece of kit was hand-held and emitted a brief high pitched signal which dogs (maybe other animals?)did not like. The intention was to give a quick burst of sound to pacify it and enable you a brief window to exit the area. There was no lasting effect on the dog. Unfortunately, I cannot remember details of this piece of kit, apart from it being recommended by the Dog Warden (can't remember which one). Hopefully,someone else will respond to this thread with relevant info. Good luck Jim Sweetman
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2003 14:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi There is an RSPCA flyer on "How should you cope with an unfriendly dog" It provides advice for postman, meter-readers and house to house visitors. The web address is:- http://www.rspca.org.uk/...999516105748&articleid=0
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 July 2003 16:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray Karen The spray used by the police is called 'Bite Back' and is a peppermint spray. It is a directed spray used against dangerous dogs but is not always effective. It carries a warning that it is not to be used against humans. There would need to be a COSHH Assessment and risk assessment completed before you consider issuing this to members of staff. There are strict controls on this spray as in this force it is only carried and used by dog handlers as it could have an adverse effect on the dog and make the situation even worse. The post office have used this in the past but I am not sure if they still do. There is no dog distractant spray to my knowledge only this spray.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 July 2003 18:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Karen, we use a dog dazer at home - 2 second ultra sonic burst - to stop local dogs. It is very effective at up to 15 meters, unless you have a deaf dog ! In which case we recommend kevlar trousers. It is handheld, costs up to £50 and I think I have details of a uk source, which I found on WWW. Regards Merv Newman
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 July 2003 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I also use a 'Dazer' (which also works on cats). I believe they are imported from the US and are still available from catalogue outlets like 'The Cargo Store' although I obtained mine from an enterprising Environmental Health Department some years ago. If Merv doesn't finish his suggested website address, I shall let you have contact details when I get home on Friday.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 02 July 2003 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Farrell Hi Karen, Have you tried dog biscuits! ..... Chuck 'em and run............. Andy
Admin  
#9 Posted : 02 July 2003 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Karen, I didn't complete the adress as a quick search would have found it in a few moments. However - Dazer ltd. 204 Broadway, PETERBOROUGH, PE1 4DT, ENGLAND Tel: +44 (0)1733 315888 Fax: +44 (0)1733 555848 Email: enquires@dazer.com Regards Merv Newman
Admin  
#10 Posted : 02 July 2003 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Rogers To all, Thanks for you responses. I am specifically looking for a supplier of the 'Bite Back' Peppermint spray, that has been found not to harm the lovely dogs that are causing us a problem. If anyone has details on this - please pass them on. Tried contacting dog wardens, but they are as ever over worked in the council estates that we visit, and if I issue the advise 'phone the dog warden if you are about to get bit' I can just image the response (probably not permitable on this site) It goes without saying that a Risk assessment would be carried out, its actually because of a risk assessment that I am trying to find this product Thanks again karen
Admin  
#11 Posted : 04 July 2003 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray Karen, Please ring me on 01242 276411 or send me your e mail address as I have the details you require. Martin
Admin  
#12 Posted : 04 July 2003 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Ken - you said it works on cats. I can't think of a situation where that could be needed unless in a Zoo? Geoff
Admin  
#13 Posted : 04 July 2003 15:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Oh I don't know Geoff, I have a couple of cats and there are times when it would be very handy - they have this habit of interweaving your legs especially when carrying large items that you can't see them past - immediate and moving trip hazard! Hilary
Admin  
#14 Posted : 04 July 2003 18:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack You obviously didn't see this Geoff: http://www.guardian.co.u...ry/0,3604,986719,00.html Dazer? Shotgun might be better
Admin  
#15 Posted : 04 July 2003 23:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Feral cats can be a bit nasty at times Geoff and the neighbours moggy is at risk of becoming a recipient of my displeasure. [For any cat-lovers present, I made the comment to ensure that Dazer users do not test the item close to their furry friends.]
Admin  
#16 Posted : 05 July 2003 08:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Yes, of course, feral cats. Its triggered a memory of a factory in Paisley, I think. A TV programme showed the number of feral cats and how the population had expanded since the factory closed down, from the initial few being fed by the then workforce to the hundreds of cats in occupation. Geoff
Admin  
#17 Posted : 07 July 2003 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Know this may not be of help, but as an Ex EHO we were told always carry and umbrella (Not a folding one). Comes in very 'andy particularily a brightly coloured one with a steel tip! Bit daft during the summer!
Admin  
#18 Posted : 08 July 2003 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You could try a parasol, Dave.