Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2003 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Euan Turner just a quick question, hopefully... I'm updating our procedures on the use use of tower scaffolding, and I've come to the competence bit. There are many references to the need for having a 'competent' person to erect tower scaffolds, and this is of course an eminently sensible approach. However, despite the many references to this requirement, I cannot find anything that determines (even in vague terms) what this competence actually is. I've worked with training companies in the past who have done a days course and given delegates a three year certificate of competence, and will revert to this approach if need be but I was hoping that there might be a more formal standard somewhere that I could refer to in the procedure to help our staff ensure they are getting trained, assessed and certificated to an acceptable standard. Any thoughts most welcome, you can also contact me at euant.nts.org.uk many thanks in anticipation, Euan
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2003 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Moore Euan, Have you had a look at the PASMA (Prefabricated Access Suppliers' and Manufacturers' Association)code of practice. Their web site address is http://pasma.co.uk. Hope this helps Mick Moore
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2003 09:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor See also CITB publication GE/700/5/2 System Scaffolds and Mobile Towers. Competence will involve: this information; the ability to put these things up, take them down and use them safely; and relevant experience. We have taken the PASMA training route.