Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2003 16:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Clarke MIOSH, MIIRSM If a Corgi Registered engineer condems a gas boiler due to it being unfit for purpose, do we or even the engineer have a legal obligation to report this occurrence to the HSE. This is an area I am unfamiliar with so am seeking some help please. Many thanks Graham
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2003 08:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton I don't really know Graham, I can't think why you would need to report it if you can't use it anyway but perhaps give the HSE helpline a ring and they can advise you better. I have really responded to this to put you back on the list as you appear to be sinking without trace. Hilary
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2003 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I believe not but it is an offence to use a gas appliance that you know to be unsafe and so a CORGI engineer could report to the enforcing authority if an unsafe appliance is found to have been brought back into use or if there appears to be a need for related enforcement action. Is there a 'CORGI person' online who could inform us of the current guidance to registered persons?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 July 2003 13:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Graham - RIDDOR Reg 6(2) tells you all you need I think - it all seems to hang on if the CORGI person has sufficient information for it to be reasonable for him to decide that a gas fitting.......is or has been likely to cause death, or any major injury etc. etc. If so it is reportable on an F2508G2 form. Regards - Bill
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 July 2003 14:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Thanks for the reminder on that Bill. The RIDDOR Regs have been around for a few years now and I had forgotten about the death and major injury risk reporting for gas appliances despite having a copy of L23 on file. I wonder to what extent this is used or followed up by the HSE?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2003 13:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey This would not be followed up initially by the HSE. The RIDDOR report would be forwarded to CORGI, who would then investigate for the HSE. If it was found that an offence under The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regs had been committed, or if CORGI were obstructed, they would pass back to HSE for investigation.Or so I believe..........
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 July 2003 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Spiers Please remember there are 2 RIDDOR forms 2508 1 for causing death or injury and 2508 2 for gas fittings found dangerous with all the criteria listed. Alan Spiers