Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2003 15:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen Good afternoon everyone. I've been asked to put together a series of safety campaigns based around the adverse factors which are currently afflicting our site. The only problem is that I havent really got any idea where to start with this as its not something that I've ever had to do. I was wondering if perhaps some of our more experienced members could point me in the right direction or give me examples of the type of things that they've done. I know that this sort of thing is a requirement of the NVQ level 4 so perhpas the people who have done the NVQ could help. Many thanks in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2003 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton I don't know what your factors are but let's say, for example, Dangerous Substances. Obviously, early notification of a campaign is essential if you want to get any kind of buy in from staff and management. Put up a schedule of when your campaigns will run and perhaps a suggestion box for things people would like to know during this period. So, firstly you want to draw up a couple of powerpoint presentations around the subject, let's say one on actual dangerous substances regs and how they will affect the workplace and one on the adverse effects of these, such as explosions, fire and so on. Perhaps some facts and figures could be put into this and "things you didn't know" like, do you know that flour is highly explosive in large quantities and that cornflower is highly flammable? Make sure that your presentations are very visible and a bit "fun" as well. I find that the moving cartoons you can download and some sound effects grab and keep the attention level - otherwise this can sound like "droning on". These should be run at suitable intervals during the period of the campaign so everyone can get to at least one session. You could do with some large posters and displays and also a lot of information. Do not assume that people will not be interested in history - why has this law come to pass, what were the effects before, statistics also are a good idea, they tend to make people stop and think. See if you can get a display board sited relatively centrally for this purpose. Try and run a quiz as part of the campaign, make it relatively simple but put in questions that seek the employee to ask themselves such as "in no more than 20 words describe the effect that a lack of control of dangerous substances might have on you" type of thing. You will need a small prize for this. You might want to run a poster campaign for the children of the employees with a prize at the end of it. Obviously split it into sections say 4-7, 8-11 and 13-16 years, so three prizes but it means the employees are thinking about this at home as well. Videos, particularly quite hard hitting ones are quite effective and can be put on a permanent play loop so that people can drift in and out. Depending on your budget, see if you can get mugs printed up or stress balls or something as an all employee gift. Also, ensure you get a good close out with an all staff meeting at which the prizes are awarded - this will also give you feedback on the effectiveness of the campaign, bits they liked and bits they didn't so you can plan the next campaign for the bits they enjoyed most and took in the best. Most of all though, allocate tasks to your team and make them responsible for both drawing up and presenting various aspects of the campaign, hearing you going on day after day on the same subject will be extremely boring for the employees and excrutiatingly dull for you. Spread it about a bit. I hope this helps - I was an NVQ4 student and this is what you need to do so your guess was spot on. Hilary
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2003 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Jason Everything you need is in a pretty exhaustive manual from the EASHW. Copy and paste the link below into your browser address bar. http://agency.osha.eu.in...s/reports/102/en/gma.pdf Brian
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2003 20:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Jason. Before you dive into a series of training courses, lectures or the like, take some time to examine your audience. look back through accident books and identify people who have had particular types of accidents ect and look at accident investigation reports, these can tell you a lot. Investigate who does what, where and when and how... Look at management and their attitudes, ask searching open questions and try to assess the types of people your dealing with, their aims, ambitions desires, goals etc etc. Try to group likeminded persons (of the same attitude) togeather in each seminar, talk or lecture ect and programme these to use the words and picture the outcomes that appeal to these particular types of persons. Better results may be achieved this way. When running campaigns, enlist the help of employees, including to carry out inspections with you to help in locating problems, systematic and behavioural, and select management staff and directors if possible to assist in presentations - don't be affraid to put them 'on-the-spot' if need be, to respond to employees questions that need 'from the top' answers.... Directors of course should be informed of your agenda and encouraged to use the right words ect, as you will be doing, to each respective group of types of person Posters and stickers help a great deal, but presence in the workplace of managers and directors speaks volumes and outshines any poster or sticker. using well designed questionnaires to assess the type of persons you are dealing with in a safety culture exercise is a good way to start.... Hope this helps...