Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2003 17:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy England I work as a driver delivering furniture, part of the service that the company offer is to remove old furniture, this is stored on the back of the wagon with the new items. The company agrees an old mattress should be wrapped, although bed bases and sofas are not. Most new items are wrapped and sealed. Could anybody inform me of the legality issues of carrying new and used/soiled furniture together.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2003 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rachelle Smith Andy You havent really described accurately what your perceived legal problem might be ? Cut to the chase and describe better the context and what you are looking to get out of this and then heaps of folks can advise you. Hope this helps
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2003 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy England I want to know whether it is legal, or against health and saftey in the workplace to carry new and other peoples old sofas/ beds on the back of the same truck. Basically I don't feel it is right to carry old soiled items alongside new items. And I want to know if the company is breaking any laws or regulations in doing so. Cheers
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2003 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rachelle Smith Andy Ok great better understand where you are coming from. At the risk of sounding like a safety nerd I don't believe (based on having a Masters in Safety Law) that your employer is breaching legislative provsions, but, it would be helpful if we had an Legal expert, from your industry sector who could give specific advice. Overall the law sets out only minimum standards - visionary organisations use the law as a starting point only. Although, that said, I wouldnt get too lost in legal trivia, what I would say was most at risk is your organisations reputation, that if it entered the public domain that brand new products were in close proximity with soiled they may wish to purchase from your competitors. I read recently that Institutional Investors estimate that the reputation of a business is as much as 1/3rd their market value. Perception is key these days ask any of us working in rail safety - reputation is key. hope this helps
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2003 17:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller If you are looking to pick a fight with your employer. (and it sound like you are) Ask him to revisit his fire risk assessment and vehicle goods insurance. The old stuff you are carrying will not conform to the current legislation unlike the new stuff (flame retardent etc,) There's definately an increased risk. One word of caution Its never a good idea to wind up your employer without good reason but if you insist and he gets mad, McDonalds has a national recruitment drive on at the moment. Just tyring to be helpful Mike
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 July 2003 19:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Sargeant Again, I my be off the track you were following, but I have heard of a needle stick injury from a hyperdermic discarded down a couch, I hope your clients are nicer than those, also the obvious manual handling implications. Graham
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 July 2003 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Andy as a HS&E person the answer to your question is no, there are no legal H&S reasons as to why your employer could not do this, I do agree its probably not the best thing. Is this a marketing ploy so that you take their old one off their hands, there must be a cost for this as you will have to pay to destroy/dispose off at Amenity Tip.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 July 2003 18:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy England Thanks Dave, not the answer I would have liked but at least I now know. Yes it is a marketing ploy of some sort, many companies will not do this which is what sparked my interest of whether we should be. They charge £25 for the service. And of course we get to see none of it! Thanks again.