Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2003 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis
I have recieved an e-mail dated 7/7/03 timed at 03.19, basically a scam from a government in nigeria asking for my bank deatils to give me money, oh yes like I am going to give it out.

What concerns me is the target for the e-mail would appear to be mainly users of this forum, including I note IOSH staff.

I am sure the users of this forum would be far to wise to respond to this e-mail, as we all contribute with such intellect and decorum . But how did the spammers get the e- mail addresses?

You never know though some comments I have seen lately on this site leads me to think someone may be drawn in hence this warning.

I will take the issuue up it up with my trading standards collegues, but would suspect the best thing to do with it is to file it under B1N. as I am sure most will do anyway.

Paul Bellis
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2003 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
I have seen this one too but through someone else's mailbox not remotely connected with IOSH. I think it is relatively random as most of these things are.

Hilary
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2003 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Hurst
Yes

I got into work this morning and saw the same e-mail.
It is worrying how my e-mail address was obtained by these spammers!

David
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2003 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Hambelton
As an aid to getting rid of junk mail from my freeserve account, I started a new hotmail account less than a week ago. I havent sent any emails yet, or given anyone the address, however I have recieved about 15 junk emails so far.

I am afraid it is just a plague of the times, and people will just have to become more net savvy and delete it.

Bill
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 July 2003 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vicky Pye
I received the email this morning as well.

Deleteted it instantly !
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 July 2003 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Raymond
I get the same email all the time, just with slight deviations but all meaning the same thing.

You give them your bank details, and they strip you account clean!!!

The more your email address is available on the internet the more you will receive these messages. I advertise on alot of websites, and recieve on average about 20 dodgy emails a day.

So I file them at the same place as yourself.

Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 July 2003 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis
I have conferred with trading standards -who inform me that this is a serious problem - so much in fact that the met police have set up a special squad and help line for people who have fallen foul - this has not only been financial -but some people have actually gone as far as to meet up with the perpetrators -the consequences of which you may guess at. -It is known as the Nigerian scam and there are bulletins on the web about it and the nigerian government have set up some safguards etc, i will do a search later to find out more!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 July 2003 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis
http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/419.htm

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

For those interested these web sites tell you all about it - its amazing how far and for how long this one has run!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 07 July 2003 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sophia masuko
I received one as well and I didn't even bother reading it to the I just deleted it permanently.
Sophia
Admin  
#10 Posted : 07 July 2003 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
I had a look at the link provided by Paul Bellis and it is quite incredible how naive some people are - it's so obviously a scam, all the replies you have had to this e-mail have shown that obviously we have our heads screwed on correctly.

I find it hard to believe and extremely worrying that so many people have been taken in - glad to see at least that schools are now teaching ICT - let's hope there is some measure of caution taught along with the practical. I always tell my kids that they never put their name on the computer for anything unless I have checked it out first, normally it is quite a reputable site run by Sky or BBC or one of the other TV links but I still check it every time just in case.

Hilary
Admin  
#11 Posted : 07 July 2003 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson
Unfortunately it is relatively simple to set up an automated program to scan web sites and pickup peoples email address.

Google use similar programs to set up their web directories.

The advice from our IT people is not to respond to any of these emails.

Also do not, if you are given the option on any email from an unknown source, use the unsubscribe option. Often all it does is to let the spamer know they have found a valid address and this generates even further junk emails.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 07 July 2003 10:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan
This one has been going for a couple of years with slight alterations. It is a complete fraud and as already directed should just be deleted on site without opening it.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 07 July 2003 10:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis
trouble is with corporate e-mails - just titled - very urgent, with a name such as this one - MRS.MARIAM SANI ABACHA as the sender - you do have to open it to check first, as you could be deleting an e-mail from a legitimate sender, luckily enough we have a sophisticated virus checker which hopefully would pick up any nasties first - but you never know, it has happened to others. The thing is not to open attachments -particularily .exe files from persons you dont know
Admin  
#14 Posted : 07 July 2003 11:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
I have received this email a couple of times. Got a variation last week, this one involved a Ugandon princess who needed to get out, if I could send them my account details they would put the money in there so I could buy her and her sisters a house to live in, I could then keep a percentage, and come a visit them!!!

I was tempted for a while, you know, all this money in my account, a gratefull princess and her sisters, but then deleted it!!
Admin  
#15 Posted : 07 July 2003 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer
For the record, I also received this nonsensical email.

I would not normally be concerned but I live in Sydney Aust.

I was not tempted to send money as having worked in Nigeria ‘being there’ was a definite health safety hazard.

Admin  
#16 Posted : 07 July 2003 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Beveridge
Having suffered the same flood of emails, I was pointed to Mailwasher. Its free to download (but you can send a donation) and it does a great job of filtering all my mail with very little effort on my part.

Its at www dot mailwasher dot net if anyone is interested.

...and this is not a set up to get your money either!!

Hope this helps someone.

Regards
Andy
Admin  
#17 Posted : 07 July 2003 14:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
As mentioned by several people, this is a money-making scam. I receive this, or variations of it, several times a week. It is rumoured to be a fairly successful scam, generating a very tidy income from those who are unwary.

Jane
Admin  
#18 Posted : 07 July 2003 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Westrupp
This spam also seems to be targetting local government officers and various warnings have been issued about them.
The newest problem e-mail I have experienced recently is people looking for 'pen-pals' who claim that they have found my address posted on a site asking for such people (which I haven't)
Anyone else had this one?
Linda
Admin  
#19 Posted : 07 July 2003 16:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
How do they get your e-mail adress ? Easy.

As one of the conveniences of this site we can e-mail each other directly, without going through iosh.

Any name which is blue on the screen conceals your e-mail adress. When I click on your name my e-mail programme opens with your full e-mail adress in the "To" box.

I would hate for this to change, as it IS convenient.

Mail washer is very good, but even it can be fooled by well concealed spam. We just have to live and learn.

Cardinal rule : IF YOU DONT KNOW WHO IT IS FROM THEN ANYTHING ATTACHED CONTAINS A VIRUS. DO NOT OPEN IT

Happy mailing

Merv Newman (for e-mails, see above)

Admin  
#20 Posted : 08 July 2003 03:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart
Paul and all other respondents,

I must be older than I think (know) I am.

In the "Olden Days" even before Gas powered computing, when e-mails and the World Wide Web were not even twinkles of embrionic ideas in the minds of technologies thinkers, the same Nigerian SCAM was operated on Faxes - except it sent people bills for entries in Trade and Business Directories and again naiveity prevailed and many fell for it and paid the bills for non existent directory entries.
As other contributors have pointed out, if you get e-mails with uncertain addresses or unrecognised names and especially .exe attachments or extensions, delete them immediately.
If it is a genuine message and important enough I find that the sender will in most cases follow up the communication and lack of response.
I currently live and work in Hong Kong and every morning on my office Computer I get some 15 to 20 Spam e-mails per day, everything from Bresat Enhancement to get Rich quick home networking Scams, mostly from USA.
(All this junk e-mail despite the fact that my Company are Asias and Hong Kongs major telecoms services provider and "it" and "e-commerce provider").
Our in house tehno wizards also struggle to contain this Spam issue despite the most sophisticated of Fire Walls etc.
On my personal Home e-mail address I get around 5 to 10 Spam e-mails per day.

One of the current SPAM or nuisance e-mails going the rounds is one purported to be from British Airways. It claims to offer a free return flight between Hong Kong (HKG) and London Heathrow (LHR) on BA if you simply pass the e-mail on to 5 other persons. So far about 4000 souls are reported to have contacted BA in Hong Kong to claim there free flights - It's a SCAM.
There is NO such thing as a FREE LUNCH!!!!!

On a serious Business Safety and Security aspect there is a real need for businesses and organistions of all types and sizes to set up Computing use and e-mail Risk Management systems.
Some organistions have such systems but there are many who do not.

These SPAM e-mails etc can be serious business and communication disrupters.
When the system jams up, when the service providers servers get choked and freeze, when your entire system crashes and you can't get to information or communicate - How good are your business continuity plans?
Can your organisation still function?
What are the implications for Computer control systems related to major operational and control mechanisims for industrial and production processes,signalling,sewerage and water pumping, emergeny services communication etc etc.
I know some of these issues are not directly related to SPAM e-mails but I do believe that many orgnisations do need to seriously and regularly review there "it' and "computer technology confidentiality" and "operating systems" and the implications in relation to the safety of the business or operation.
Many organisations also need to clearly define best and acceptable practises for "it" and "e-commerce actions" by there personnel and to clearly define what is and what is not acceptable behaviour and material content on e-mail etc systems.

I will be interested to see others comments views on this topic.
Regards.
Ken Urquhart
Admin  
#21 Posted : 08 July 2003 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Muldoon
Likewise I too receieved the email on Monday to my work email address. It is the first piece of spam I have ever had at this address in five years.

Anyhow, if you want to read how someone scammed the scammers click the link below. Its a bit long winded but highly amusing (and worrying) at the same time.

David Muldoon

http://www.craigmcateer....eyonder.co.uk/mupesa.htm
Admin  
#22 Posted : 08 July 2003 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Wood
you mean........ it's not genuine?!!!! Heck....Just got to call the bank.......
Admin  
#23 Posted : 08 July 2003 21:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
I had a similar e-mail pedaling this scam back in March. Since that my pc was infected by a worm called KLEZ.

This caused me some difficulty as my virus protector could only quarantine the infected files.

As it was coming in through my mailbox I eventually found blocked the sender.

Go into "Message" then click "block sender", I have not seen it now for a month.

By the way, it also tricked me by using a regular forum users name and I thought it was someone asking me for specific info.
Regards
Steve
Admin  
#24 Posted : 09 July 2003 08:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt
Paul

Talk about co-incidence. I was telling my wife all about the Nigerian scam (the story about the reverse scam in Dubai highlighted in this thread was brilliant _ I hope it's true!!) when we switched the telly on and there was a programme on BBC 2 about it!!!

Some pople have lost £ 130 000, and many others have lost lesser sums.

Eric

Admin  
#25 Posted : 09 July 2003 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis
I missed that, its surprising that some people are so gullible really - I liked the reverse scam too - its amazing what lengths they went to.
Hope all is well in Cheshire
Admin  
#26 Posted : 09 July 2003 13:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson
Interesting, because i have also recently received scam emails to get money out of Nigeria. Maybe somebody is taking the email addresses off of this site?
Admin  
#27 Posted : 09 July 2003 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
for some reason i keep thinking of the film we were kings. Has nothing to do with email must be nigeria.

if i receive one i will reply stating i have an inheritance but need £20,000 pound to eliminate my father upon then i will receive £2000000 for which i would pay them 10% and also marry the nigerian princess.
Admin  
#28 Posted : 10 July 2003 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt
Jason

It's gratifying to see that you are using the principles of risk transfer which you learnt on your risk management course.

When undertaking high risk activities, it is always wise to use a competent contractor to carry out activities on your behalf, although I personally feel that the price of £20 000 is a little high. Have you shopped around for quotes?

The HSE has produced a document called "How to choose a Contractor" which you may find helpful, however you must remember that although you can outsource hazardous activities, you still retain responsibility.

You may wish to read up on R v Swan Hunters in respect of this responsibility.

In terms of marrying the princess, you will note that the theme of this year's European Week of Health and Safety is "Dangerous Substances - Handle with Care" and the Action Pack for this week is now available.

Are you planning the wedding week commencing 13th October by any chance? If so, you may wish to inform the HSE of your contribution to this week and you (and your new wife) may well be in line for an award from them.

Rather you than me....!!

Eric
Admin  
#29 Posted : 10 July 2003 19:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
lol