Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2003 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE Hi What I need to know is: If an employee in 2000 performed a FLT course,which he/she passed, was told the training company provided CITB Certification on passing but later went into liquidation would this certificate still be valid? The other problem is that the training company only provided a letter stating that an exemption for 40days would be allowed until the individual recieved his/hers certifcation and license. Most original licenses and certificates are held in the employees personal file if the company pays for the license. In a months time the so called license runs out(or refresher is needed), the employee tryed to make contact with the training provider to ask for a copy of his cert.,license only to find that the company was no longer, he followed this up by making contact with the CITB who informed him that whilst the 40day exemption was allowed, they had no record of any training that he had performed. He has informed the company of his findings, but being told not to worry as his refresher is due shortly. My and his concern is, that if no-one has a record of him actually passsing this course/test how can he possibly take a refresher? Also where would he stand if he should become involved in a serious accident? He has assured me that the training did take place ,but has only ever had the letter mentioned previously. Would this letter be valid now their is no such company, and the CITB have no record of the training taking place if an accident should occur. If he has informed his present employee of his findings(verbally, would the blame be moved to the company or would he still be held liable knowing what he has found out? I have informed him to put his findings in writing and to have it witnessed , and to then see the outcome.(he is on holiday for the next 12 days , so he has stopped driving) I need some additional feedback, to this concern to reassure myself before I arrange a meeting with the persons concerned. Any advice would be much appreciated. Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2003 22:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john r sharp Steve Was a card issued vack in 2000? As I see it, if there is no valid card and no one has any documentary proof, this FLT driver needs to undertake training when he comes back from holiday. If he is an experienced driver the trainer will be able to ascertain thiis very quickly. I would also suggest that copies of any certs/ cards etc are placed on file. Hope this helps. John Sharp
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2003 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE Hi John No no license has ever been produced, only an exemption letter stating that the training had occured and that the license would be forwarded on (upto 40days). The driver in question, is not in doubt as I have assessed him on numerous times and spoken to his line manager who speaks highly of him. He is about to undertake a refresher(inhouse) provided by the client who we work for but my concern is what about his training record if there is none, do we have to accept that whilst provider did perform this training in good faith even though they have not fulfilled all of there obligations and pass on the paperwork to the relevant bodies, this individual has been duped. Obviously the easy way out is to retrain the individual again but this is where the problem lies(cost). Whilst the cost would be nothing compaired to if he had an accident, I need to know is he still liable in a worst case scenario, or will the blame be held on our company now that he has informed the Safety Manager of his findings. Steve
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2003 18:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Rogerson Steve, I have had a lot of dealings with the CITB as we are involved in construction. They have on numerous occasions told me that they have no record of training which is why I photocopy everything I send to them. Does your company pay a levy to the CITB? Was it a CTA card that you were supposed to get? The CTA card will soon become the CPCS card and you will have to show that the operator has done a minimum of 300 hours over 5 years on each piece of plant that is shown on the card. Proof will be by a log book which will be issued. If proof cannot be shown then you have to pay for yet another assessment!They also have to sit the touch screen health and safety test. There is also a CSCS card and this is where it gets rather complicated. If you want to e-mail me I will give you my telephone number and see if I can help further. Regards, Alison
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2003 21:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john r sharp Steve I still think that retraining is the only option: you can see that he has a valid CTA card. This will prove that the driver has been assessed by an independent assessor. As regards previous training, you/ he can't prove anything. Having a letter is not the same as a valid card with photograph, expiry date etc- these facts can be verified. As regards an accident occurring, I would take him off of any driving duties until training has been carried out- you say he is on holiday, so that is easy to deal with. I would arrange a course ASAP. The previous respondent talked about CPCS: this kicks in once he has been trained. Keeping the log-book etc rolls on. Regards John
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 July 2003 18:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE Thanks For the information that I have recieved, the views are the same as the ones that I came to the same conclusion. Steve